Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

What malaria risks in Luang Prabang, early February?

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 18/10/2013 at 07:37

Can anyone give guidance on malaria risks in Luang Prabang? We'll be visiting during the first week in February, flying in, spending all our nights in Laos there, and going no further afield than daytime boat trips on the Mekong. I know that malaria is a risk in some places in Laos but are preventative medicines needed for Luang Prabang? Should hotel rooms have window netting? Should we bring our own? Grateful for any informed advice. Prefer to avoid anti-malarial medicines.

#1 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by JaiYen88 on 18/10/2013 at 09:14

You are unlikely to contract malaria there; Dengue fever on the other hand is a real risk, although that risk is lower during dry season, which is lucky for you.

Make sure to cover up at night and use repellent, and be especially careful if you climb Phousi Hill, since there are a lot of daytime tiger mosquitoes there which are carriers of dengue. If you are entering any wooded/jungle area just be careful about getting bitten but in the town itself you should be fine.

Good hotels will usually have decent window netting, and if you have aircon then that keeps mosquitoes out too.

#2 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Posted by chinarocks on 18/10/2013 at 09:23

Whatever the risks of contracting it or not are, I would advise you to cover up, use spray and take tablets (not Malarone but the other one that is recommended, name escapes me).

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/10/2013 at 09:42 admin

Good advice up top -- agree dengue fever far more of an issue than malaria in Luang Prabang -- our researcher in Laos last year came down with it most likely in Luang Nam Tha, though it hit home in Luang Prabang.

Feb is getting towards the end of the dry season so I wouldn't expect mozzies to be a huge deal anyway. Some hotels will have mosquito nets, though more out of decorative instincts than necessity.

I wouldn't be taking pills for a short Laos trip that was only taking in Luang Prabang -- if you were heading to more remote areas, for a prolonged period, perhaps. Better to use repellent etc.

Dengue mozzies bite in the early morning -- more info on it: from personal experience, I don't recommend dengue!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LaoLover on 23/10/2013 at 00:04

in general, you don't need to worry within the cities at all. Any hotel over $10 will have screens and the actual risk of contracting these illnesses within the developed areas is very, very slight. The location and timing of your visit couldn't be better, and it's just not something worth the worry. Buy some repellent on the go if you feel like booking a trek deep in the bush, but that's all that's required. :)

For those traveling to places with an actual risk, I recommend the lowest dose of the antibiotic doxycycline. It is effective for malaria prophylaxis, but also protects against delhi belly and many kinds of basic foodborne illness, and so is good for the traveler.

#5 LaoLover has been a member since 7/10/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by altmtl on 23/10/2013 at 02:01

I stopped taking malaria meds about 4 yrs ago and am in SEA almost every year around Dec - March. As mentioned, Dengue is more of a risk.

#6 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 23/10/2013 at 06:14

Thanks very much everyone. That's been very helpful. We shan't take anti-malarials but concentrate instead on mosquito repellent - and read up on dengue fever symptoms, which was something I'd never thought about at all.

#7 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.