Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Itinerary Advice: Luang Prabang, Luang Namtha & Phongsali

Posted by jeanne1307 on 30/10/2013 at 22:54

I am flying from Cambodia to either Luang Prabang or Luang Namtha. I have about 14 days. I was considering the following itinerary and want to know if this is too rushed. NOTE if it takes longer to travel overland to vietnam, i have built a buffer in my itinerary in case busses or boats take longer than expected in Laos.

* Fly to LP
* 3 Full days in LP
* Travel Day to LN (via Oudomxay)
* 3 Full days in LN
* Travel Day to Oudomaxay (bus)
* Morning Bus to Phongsali (bus)
* 2 Full days in Phongsali
* Phongsali to Muang Khua (boat) - NOTE if there is not enough people via boat, i will have to take a boat back to a junction
* Muang Khua to Tay Trang Border Crossing at Dien Bien (bus)
* Bus to Sapa, Vietnam

THOUGHTS?

#1 jeanne1307 has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/11/2013 at 08:12 admin

Looks good to me, though bear in mind the road to Phongsali is a little bit crap.

Otherwise, straightfroward from Phongsali to Hat Sa (for boat to Muang Khua) - a short video from when I did it is here

Muang Khua onwards to the border etc is straightforward.

If you're planning on trekking from LNT this post (from a coupla years ago) may be of interest.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jeanne1307 on 3/11/2013 at 21:00

The scenery in that video is awesome. thanks for the link!

It seems from what i read that Phongsali is worth the bad roads and long travel to get up there. Do you agree? There was a comment in one of the links you sent me where someone said 2 days was a good amount of time there.

FInally, any recommendation of flying into Luang Namtha and then heading down to Luang probang? or flying to Luang Prabang first (which is slightly cheaper), then up to Luang Namtha, then back down to Oudamaxi in order to get up to Phongsali.

#3 jeanne1307 has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.