Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Travel during April May

Posted by Kriztofire on 3/11/2013 at 04:46

I'm going on a six week tour of thialand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos in April/May next year. Most of the web says this is the worst time to go. Can anyone share their experience and advice on traveling during this time?

Can it be that bad??

#1 Kriztofire has been a member since 3/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 3/11/2013 at 23:55

My first tour of SE Asia was during this period and done again a few times since. It's the hottest time of year and the air can also be hazy and polluted from farmers burning their fields in preparation for eventual rain season planting. Still it doesn't stop many travelers from visiting the region, so how do you feel about 40C/110F temperatures and some smog and late afternoon red "sunsets"? Take measures to keep cool - seek shade, walk slowly, don't hurry, take a break in peak afternoon heat, make the most of early mornings and evenings, drink tons of water, etc.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by telmi on 4/11/2013 at 01:35

Yeah it's hot and hazy - head for the hills where the temps are lower and the nights are cool.

#3 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by Rufus on 5/11/2013 at 00:54

April May will not be hazy - this is January, Febuary - but it will be very hot; this is the hottest time of the year. I would avoid it if possible.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.