Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

12 days in Laos NEXT WEEK - Itinerary help!! (Vientiane > LP)

Posted by shanghaigirl135 on 5/11/2013 at 05:03

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello travelers!
We are a couple traveling to Laos next week (mid-Nov). We'll be there for 12 days: flying into Vientiane , leaving from Luang Prabang 12 days later. We would be so grateful for travel suggestions from those who have been there -- standalone destinations, day-trips from Vien. / LP, trekking, etc. We're fairly active, in our mid-20s, and would love to see some local culture/places "off the beaten path."
We had originally planned: 3 days Vientiane / 3 days Vang Vieng / 6 days LP & surrounding area. However, we plan to skip Vang Vieng since we've read it's now a "ghost town" (note we weren't going primarily for the party scene, so if it's still worth a visit for trekking and scenery please chime in!). If possible, we'd like to see places reachable by bus/car and avoid more domestic air travel.
Ideally we'd like to find 1-2+ places we could visit in addition to Vientiane and LP, since 12 days between those two places seems like we'd be missing out on so much more that Laos has to offer. Many thanks in advance for anyone generous enough to offer their suggestions -- please be candid!

#1 shanghaigirl135 has been a member since 7/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by caseyprich on 5/11/2013 at 18:33

Since you sound interested in hikes, I might suggest heading north of Luang Prabang up to Nong Kiaow. From there you can catch a boat about 1hr up river to Muang Ngoi. A small village (though I think a bit travel scened by now) that has a number of opportunities for treks in the area. If you are interested in history, I'd suggest the 8hr bus ride out to the Phonsovan to see the Plain of Jars and get a handle on the bombing campaign that the US put on the area.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.