Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Motorbike Licence in Laos

Posted by Gale on 14/12/2013 at 14:49

Hi All

Heading to Laos in Feb/Mar 2014. Planning on riding the Thakhek loop. Husband and I have a motorbike licence issued in Victoria Australia. We will get an IDP from the RACV, the state run motoring association at a cost of $35.50.
Wondering if the IDP will make us legal to ride motorcycles in Laos? There is a list of countries and requirements on the RACV website but Laos is not mentioned. See link

I am unsure of where I can source the correct information on motorbike licences and requirements in Laos.
Any help would be much appreciated.


#1 Gale has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 15/12/2013 at 00:34

I wouldn't be too concerned if it's "legal". Sleepy little corner of Laos, nobody really cares about that. Aside from Vientiane and a couple checkpoints in/out of Luang Prabang it's very rare to even see police much less get stopped by them unless you're doing something obviously illegal. Bigger concern might be insurance in the event of an accident involving damage/injury. Check with your provider if they would cover. Otherwise just rent a bike locally and go for it.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,951

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Gale on 16/12/2013 at 13:43

Thanks for the reply Captain Bob. Rode motorbikes in the nth of Laos earlier this year with an IDP. Recent research has led me to believe an IDP is not enough in Vietnam and a local licence is also required to be 'legal'. When there was no mention of Laos on the RACV website - where I would obtain the IDP from prior to travel, I wondered if a similar law to Vietnam also exists. It's my understanding being 'legal' is a requirement in the case of an insurance claim.
Thanks again

#3 Gale has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by Rufus on 17/12/2013 at 23:31

Yes it will make you legal. The police DO check and it happens a lot now, but even an Aust licence alone is ok. As Capn suggests, make sure you have insurance.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by Gale on 19/12/2013 at 04:03

Thank you Rufus. Much appreciated.

#5 Gale has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.