Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang?

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 15/1/2014 at 17:12

We're going to Luang Prabang for a week, nowhere else in Laos bar day trips on the river, and we are flying in and out of LP. On going for injections for typhoid, tetanus etc, I was recommended to also take preventative medicines against malaria and against rabies. I was surprised because I hadn't thought there was a significant risk of either in Luang Prabang itself. I'd like to ask regular visitors to Luang Prabang and people who know Laos well:
Do you / would you take anti-malarials to visit Luang Prabang as we are doing?
Would you get anti-rabies injections under our circumstances?
Are aggressive dogs a problem when you walk around in Luang Prabang? (like there certainly used to be in Bangkok)
Have you ever heard of bat bites in places like the Pak Ou caves?
What's the best medical resource in Luang Prabang for animal bites?
I'd greatly value experienced Laos travellers / residents opinion on this.

#1 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by Rufus on 15/1/2014 at 18:33

" I was recommended to also take preventative medicines against malaria and against rabies."
Who by? An expert in tropical medicine? I would not take either.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 974
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/1/2014 at 22:34

Straight answer: NO

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Posted by Nigelll on 19/1/2014 at 05:04

Are there many mosquitoes at the moment in Luang Prabang? When does the mosquitoe season start?

#4 Nigelll has been a member since 19/1/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 19/1/2014 at 08:56

Thanks very much everyone for your comments, which have helped me make up my mind not to get preventative treatments for malaria and rabies just for a week in Luang Prabang. In order not to bias your comments, in my original question I didn't convey how sceptical I felt about medical advice to get these - especially rabies prevention. I think that you need to take medical advice always seriously but reflectively - not imagine that either you or they know it all. From asking around, I've heard nothing from anyone here or elsewhere which contradicts my initial perception that I was getting alarmist 'better safe than sorry' medical advice about a country which wasn't well known to the people who'd written the risk lists.

#5 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.