Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

new Loei-Sayabouly-Luang Prabang international bus

Posted by wanderingcat on 15/2/2014 at 08:29

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/394778/new-loei-luang-prabang-bus-rout

13 Feb 2014 Bangkok Post
The Transport Company in Thailand has joined with Naluang Company in Laos to launch a new public bus service, Route 14, to link Loei with Luang Prabang .

The journey takes about nine hours and covers a distance of 395km.

The Transport Company uses an air-conditioned bus with 38 seats for the new service. The bus departs from Loei Bus Terminal daily at 8am and the return trip from Luang Prabang is at 7am every day. The bus also makes one stop at Xayaburi where an Elephant Conservation Centre is located.

A one-way ticket to Luang Prabang is 700 baht and 175,000 kip to Loei. If one wants to get off at Xayaburi, a one-way trip is priced at 500 baht or 125,000 kip and the travel time is about six hours.

A one-way ticket to Luang Prabang is 700 baht and 175,000 kip to Loei. If one wants to get off at Xayaburi, a one-way trip is priced at 500 baht or 125,000 kip and the travel time is about six hours.

Call the Transport Company Call centre on 1490 or Loei Bus Terminal on 042-811-706.

According to this article: http://home.transport.co.th/th/news-activities/513--14-.html , this bus service will use the Tha Li-Kaen Thao border crossing between Loei & Sayabouly provinces.

#1 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by squarethecircle on 16/8/2014 at 23:31

Has anyone taken this bus on the Loei-->LPB route? I'm curious if it is necessary to arrange a visa beforehand as you do with the cross-border buses that from Nong Khai or Udon Thani to Vientiane, or whether they're fine with you just getting the visa-on-arrival inside Laos.

#2 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by squarethecircle on 29/8/2014 at 01:30

Update: I took this bus and found that a Visa is NOT required to get on the bus (as it is from buses from Nong Khai to Vientiane), you can get at the Lao border but arrange your 35 or whatever USD beforehand to save the cash (it is about 15 USD saved if you pay in USD rather than Thai baht). The bus patiently waited for me though it took much longer for this whitey to get through than all the Thai and Lao people.

If you want to go from Northeast Thailand to LPB this is a good side route, with beautiful scenery along valleys (no climbing up and down mountains like you have to do if you go the Vientiane to Luang Prabang route via Vang Vieng); it leaves Loei bus terminal at 8 AM, costs 700 Baht, and includes a nice lunch (I opted for the fried basil squid on steamed rice), snacks, and cold (!) air-conditioning, and arrives at Naluang south bus terminal in LPB around 5 PM, enough time to get to the guesthouse in daylight.

This is a much much better alternative route to LPB which I will be using on the way back to Thailand as well (bus LPB to Loei also leaves at 8 AM).

#3 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Posted by DLuek on 29/8/2014 at 03:32 TF writer

Thanks for the report -- sounds like a great option connecting two great places. I did the Vientiane to LPB bus route last year and it was the first time I've ever almost gotten sick from a bus ride. It was like driving in a continual S pattern for 13 hours straight.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,325
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by scoopybombam on 18/5/2015 at 22:03

Hi can you confirm the time the bys leaves Luang Prabang as one post says 7.00am and another says 8.00am? I don't want to miss the bus, but I don't want to hang around for an extra hour on a long bus ride either. Thanks a lot

#5 scoopybombam has been a member since 27/4/2015. Posts: 9

Posted by Captain_Bob on 19/5/2015 at 05:46

Thank you squarethecircle for that eyewitness report. If you read this it would be good to hear about the condition of the roadway on the Laos side. It appears you did the trip in rainy season. Cheers.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,954

Posted by squarethecircle on 19/5/2015 at 06:54

Scoopy I suggest having your guesthouse call the bus station - think it's the south one - to confirm.

Captain-Bob the road condition is good enough to land a plane on, and most of that trip is a valley so it's much more reliable than the mudslide-prone twistaroo going from Vientiane to Vang Vieng to LPB. Wonder what Vang Vieng is like these days.

#7 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.