Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Cycle Touring Laos

Posted by enduro75 on 21/2/2014 at 02:52

Hoping anyone can help. I'm a keen Cycle tourist and have booked a flight in March to Vientiane with my bike and have 3 weeks to get to Hoi An in Vietnam. Initially I had planned to spend a day or two at Vang Viang then onto route 13 via Savannakhet - however North Laos looks more interesting so now thinking of cycling From Vang Viang to Phonsavan then follow route 7 to the Vietnam border. Looking at the map there doesn't appear to be many villages along this route. Does anyone know if there is any form of accommodation and food in places like Kasi, Muang Sui, Nonghet and other places along the way ? I normally only cycle about 80km - 100km Average a day so would I need to carry a tent or could I rely on the towns Also has anyone been on this road and can tell me the conditions ? Looking at the map it appears to be very hilly but I don't plan on racing up the hills. I've already got a Vietnam Visa but is the Border always open on route 7 ? Seems very little about this crossing on the web and wouldn't want to have a long ride back if I can't enter Vietnam here.

Thanks in advance for any information on the above anyone may have

Symon :)

#1 enduro75 has been a member since 21/2/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by telmi on 21/2/2014 at 21:38

try this link for Highway 7 info http://hobomaps.com/Hwy7MapLaos.html and as far as I know there is only one guest house on this stretch of 135 km at Nong Tang/Muang Suay. also try the Hobo travel links such as http://hobomaps.com/TravelPDJ.html. You can enter Vietnam at the border near Vieng Xay & Sam Neua where the cycling is great as well as from Phonsavanh via Hwy. 7 heading east.

#2 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by mooball on 25/2/2014 at 23:10 TF writer

Yep, definitely rudimentary accommodation in Nong Tang/ Muang Sui as well as a few food stalls. The road is in pretty good condition, but does wind a bit in places and then flattens and straightens out a bit across to Phonsavan. Heading up to Sam Neua from memory was just hills. Stunning scenery and quite remote.

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 433
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.