Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos to China

Posted by chinaconsult3 on 25/2/2014 at 02:15

Hi, is it possible to travel up the Mekong river from Laos to south western China (e.g., Jinghong) via the river border between Laos and Myanmar/Burma? I know that travel was disallowed after some killings of sailors some time ago. Does anybody know if the ban on travel has been lifted? (The reverse journey also?).

#1 chinaconsult3 has been a member since 25/2/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by mooball on 25/2/2014 at 23:10 TF writer

I'm not sure what the situation on that part of the river is, but I would say that it is just a matter of finding a boat that will take you up river and then the rest is up to you. Things like border control, safety and the like are probably going to be in your own hands. It's not a typical travel route and isn't set up for those sort of trips.

If you want to give it a go, head to Xieng Kok and flag down a north bound boat. Looking at the map, it looks like it is a full day trip up river from there. Are you looking to cross the border there? I don't know anything about border crossings there, but it seems unlikely for anyone except locals as is the case with those border crossing points with Burma up and down the river. Sounds like a top trip!

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 433
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by chinaconsult3 on 25/2/2014 at 23:57

Thank you very much, my friend.

#3 chinaconsult3 has been a member since 25/2/2014. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.