Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Distance/Time - Border to Chiang Mai

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 09:57

Hi,

Now I know this info is out there somewhere but I have spent ages trying to find it unsuccessfully....

Staying in Huay Xui overnight, wanting to go to Bangkok the next day.... Can someone tell me how long I can expect to take to get to Chiang Mai? Trying to book a flight from CM to BKK and need to have a rough estimate of how long it will take to get there?

Best options? Pricing? Any other info would be great at the same time!

Reet xx

#1 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 10:02

Oops look what I just found!

https://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/northern_laos/bokeo/huay_xai/all

Is it really only 4 hours to Chiang Mai? How reliable is the transport time wise? I have the option of a 6pm flight or a 10pm flight... am wanting the earlier one... but didnt want to leave myself short!

Reet
x

#2 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by marianwarren on 7/9/2007 at 15:05

Hi Reet

We did the journey in reverse from Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Chiang Khong last Nov - it took 5 1/2 hours with a 15 min wait at Chiang Rai. CM - CR 2nd class a/c 3 1/4 hrs 180 THB (we caught the 10.30 am - we got to the bus station around 9-ish but couldn't get seats before then). CR - CK (local bone rattler) 2 1/4 hrs 57THB (this one runs hourly).

Takes about 30 mins from Nthn bus station to the airport by tuk tuk/songthaew.

Pretty sure if you crossed from Huay Xai fairly early you could make the 6pm flight.

Hope this helps

Marian

#3 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 15:14

Thanks Marian

Do you, or anyone else, know if there is 'public' transport available or do we need to take a private bus?

Is one prefable over the other?

Reet xx

#4 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 15:17

Again .. idiot.. you are obviously referring to 'public'... :-)

#5 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by marianwarren on 7/9/2007 at 16:15

I'll ignore the idiot - I presume you're describing yourself. Yep both buses were govt run.

Ciao

Marian

#6 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 16:28

Argh! I am having a blonde day... no I was referring to ME! You are not an idiot Marian.. you and your info is always wonderful!!! Sorry xxxx

#7 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.