Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Motorbike mechanic in Luang Prabang?

Posted by cbg0927 on 5/5/2014 at 00:54

Can anyone recommend a motorbike mechanic in Luang Prabang? I'm thinking of heading to some of the local big bike rental places and asking there - but I'd also appreciate any suggestions here as well. I'm looking to get a few repairs/tune-up/oil change done on my Honda Win before I head north and cross into Vietnam at Tay Trang and head towards Sapa.

#1 cbg0927 has been a member since 30/7/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 62
 Send cbg0927 a private message   Where has cbg0927 been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/5/2014 at 20:49

Just look for any shop/house that has a tire (tyre) hanging out front on display. It's the universal (SE Asian) indication of a motorbike repair shop.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by SoManyMiles on 5/5/2014 at 23:21 TF writer

Unfortunately most motorbike mechanics in Luang Prabang don't understand the concept of tune-up or maintenance, only fixing something when its broken. There's a really good mechanic on Mano Road in between Wat Mano and Le Sen Boutique Hotel. It's a tiny tiny shop run by a Vietnamese family and the mechanic looks (and probably is) 16 years old but he's excellent, charges next to nothing and actually runs checks on the whole bike, not just what needs to be fixed.

Otherwise the big motorbike mechanic shop is in on Kingkitsarath Road, the street running between Spicy Laos and Amantaka (a block from Spicy Laos, it's across from Luang Prabang Legend Hotel http://www.luangprabanglegend.com - you can't miss it, motorbikes and oil everywhere.

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 86

Posted by cbg0927 on 9/5/2014 at 06:43

Thanks @SoManyMiles for that. Visited the Vietnamese mechanic on Manoram road today. For anyone looking, he's on the opposite side of Le Sen Boutique Hotel and Wat Manoram, about 150 meters away from Le Sen, in the direction of Wat Manoram.

Also visited another mechanic in LP as recommended by a local expat here. Here's a dropped pin where the shop is:

https://flic.kr/p/nxTcr5

#4 cbg0927 has been a member since 30/7/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 62
 Send cbg0927 a private message   Where has cbg0927 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.