In january 2008 I will be travelling in Laos for about 4 weeks (after one month in Thailand). After Laos I will also visit Cambodia and Vietnam (maybe good to know if you want to give me some advice). I am a quite experienced traveller but it’s my first time in SE Asia so it’s always good to get some good and actual advice. I don’t care about luxury (and prefer atmosphere above that): a private, clean and basic room (with fan) will be fine for me.
Here’s my global itinerary for Laos:
Entering Laos in Huay Xai (day 1), to Luang Nam Tha by road (2), Muang Sing incl. trekking (3-4-5-6), Luang Nam Tha (7), Udomxai (8), Luang Prabang (9-10-11-12), Phonsavan/Plain of Jars (13-14), Vang Vieng (15-16), Vientiane (17-18), Savannakhet (19), Pakse (20), Bolaven Plateau (21-22-23), Champasak (24), Si Phan Don staying on Don Det/Don Khon (25-26-27-28), leaving Laos for Cambodia (Stung Treng).
Some questions about my itinerary (detailled questions will follow later):
1. Wanna do at least one trekking in Laos, is Muang Sing the best place for this? Or are there better options in/around places like Luang Nham Tha, Vieng Puhka, Muang Ngoi or Luang Prabang.
2. Is there a scenic boat route to insert in this itinerary (I suppose it will be dry season)?
4. The route is logical? I know the places are more or less standard but are there any places which I should insert or maybe skip?
Thanks in advance for you answers,
#1 Harry05 has been a member since 9/9/2007. Posts: 60
Sounds like a great trip. To answer your questions:
1) It depends on the type of trekking you're after -- Muang Sing is ok for visiting villages, but for stunning scenery, other options -- out of Phong Sali and Luang Nam Tha may be more appealing. Check the Boat Landing's website for some great information in this regard. Also, between Huay Xai and Luang Nam Tha is the Gibbon Experience -- may be worth a look.
2) From Udomxai head east to Nong Khiaow and take the boat south from there to Luang Prabang.
3) There is no 3!
4) It's a good route. Check some of the Laos trip planners to get an idea on transport time between places -- may help with your planning.
#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest