Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Getting from Luang Namtha to Nong Khiauw

Posted by Lewtravels on 5/7/2014 at 16:31

It seems like the only bus to Nong Khiauw from Udomxai leaves at 9 AM.
Last time I tried to get to Nong Khiauw from Luang Namtha in one day, we had to rent a minivan in Udomxai.

Is there a way to do the Luang Namtha to Nong Khiauw in one day by public transport?

TIA

Lew

#1 Lewtravels has been a member since 9/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 7

Posted by satbirb on 5/9/2014 at 07:55

Hey,

You can get a bus to Pak Mong, from there you will have to get a minivan which we shared with 3 others to take you to Nong Kiau. We Left in the morning at 9am IIRC and arrived in Nong Kiau at around 16.30, not the best bus trip (hot, bumpy, windy and crammed) so be prepared..but totally worth it! A very beautiful place that I wish I had stayed longer in.

Happy Travels!
Sat

#2 satbirb has been a member since 5/9/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by Lewtravels on 5/9/2014 at 10:01

Thanks for the info.

Traveling by bus in Laos is a big part of the adventure for me.

p1151228256-4.jpg

#3 Lewtravels has been a member since 9/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 7

Posted by caseyprich on 7/9/2014 at 22:44

Yeah - Pak Mong then onward. If you catch an early bus out of LP you can sometimes get into Nong Kiaow a little sooner by chartering a pickup or something with others who don't want to wait.

If you don't want to take the bus back, you can always hit up the river ride back down to Luang Prabang. I didn't, but those who have had said good things.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by squarethecircle on 8/9/2014 at 06:26

Just get book a bus/minivan (local buses are way better IMO) and say to let you stop in Pak Mong. Tourist agencies in LNT charge an extra 20.000 kip (2 Euros) but it's worth it as they take care of the tuk-tuk.

BTW Lew that picture appears to be in Myanmar, where the women where the white paste (Tanakha) on the forehead, no?

#5 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Posted by Lewtravels on 8/9/2014 at 11:58

yes, it is in Myanmar, more specifically on a truck/bus to Pindaya.

Squarethecircle - can you be a bit more explicit about booking the trip from LN to NK.
What do you mean 'the tourist agency takes care of the tuk-tuk.' Does that mean the tuk-tuk to the bus station from downtown?

TIA,

Lew

#6 Lewtravels has been a member since 9/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 7

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.