Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Getting There: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Posted by regina5 on 26/9/2007 at 14:50

Read that there is now a direkt bus available from Ubon to Pakse. Is it only for people who already have a visa? Because I can't imagine it waiting until everyone has cleared immigration into Laos.....Has anyone crossed this border recently?

#1 regina5 has been a member since 24/9/2007. Posts: 32

Posted by regina5 on 27/9/2007 at 21:48

no one??

#2 regina5 has been a member since 24/9/2007. Posts: 32

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/9/2007 at 07:48 admin

Hi Regina,

I haven't crossed that border in some time, but my understanding is that you do need to have a visa beforehand to use the through bus service. If you plan on getting a Lao visa on arrival, you need to take alternative transport to the border.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by regina5 on 28/9/2007 at 14:04

Thanks. That confirms the info I found yesterday.

#4 regina5 has been a member since 24/9/2007. Posts: 32

Posted by MADMAC on 22/6/2011 at 11:25

Just FYI, when using the bus from Mukdahan you do not need a visa prior. You used to, but that has since changed (when the bridge opened and the boat option was eliminated).

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by exacto on 22/6/2011 at 11:58

i'm pretty sure that visa on arrival is available taking that international bus from Ubon to Pakse. the Lao Embassy Bangkok website specifically lists the Chongmek/Vangtao crossing as one of 13 international border crossings where foreign tourists may obtain a visa on arrival. that is certainly the case taking the friendship bridge from Nong Khai to Vientiane or from Mukdahan to Savannakhet (as MADMAC says above). on those routes, the international bus waits for everyone to clear customs and immigration before continuing the trip into town.

funny, by the way, since the initial post is from 2007. cheers.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 22/6/2011 at 12:35

Pretty sure this got lifted up by chayanis as spam.

However, I crossed this February on the international bus out of UR north bus station, we stopped for everyone to go through the visa process and it wasn't more than an hour that we were waiting for everyone to get through with a nearly full bus.

Remember to bring a 1 USD bonus for the staff working so fast ;-)

#7 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.