Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Help with Border Crossing Vietnam into Laos

Posted by Jenn23le on 14/8/2014 at 22:11

Posted from within Vietnam.

My fiancé and I will be traveling to Laos in a few weeks coming from Vietnam. We are hoping to make our way from the Cha Lo > Na Phao border crossing. We know that this is the least taken border crossing between Vietnam and Laos but it would help the flow of our travels if we could do so. We have been researching and have gotten conflicting answers on if it is possible to obtain a visa upon arrival at this border crossing. Can I please get some assistance in the matter.

Has anyone experience/have done this crossing and know if it would be possible to obtain a visa upon arrival.

We will be in Dong Hoi and want to depart from there making our way into Laos with less travel time getting to a border crossing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

#1 Jenn23le has been a member since 1/7/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by tf_geckozy on 15/8/2014 at 02:29

As for Cha Lo/Na Phao border, i crossed only once but it's many years ago though i crossed other borders(6 of 7 in all between VN and Laos) many times from both sides till today so i'm not sure about VOA at Na Phao Lao border --- I checked it on line and its result was as below.

*VOA at Na Phao Lao border is "Yes".

Timetable of international bus "from Thakhek to Dong Hoi " is maybe "via Na Phao/Cha Lo border" so opposite direction "from Dong Hoi to Thakhek" via Cha Lo/Na Phao border is also avalable, i think---but i don't know whether this timetable is new or old.
(Thakhek to Dong Hoi--90,000 kip/Mon & Wed & Fri & Sat/Dep.07:00am)
(Dong Hoi to Thakhek----? Please check for yourself)

#2 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by Jenn23le on 15/8/2014 at 03:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks so much for your help tf_geckozy! I've too have looked at this sight and was glad to see that we would be able to get visa upon arrival. Again we have had conflicting answers and wanted to see if we can confirm a yes with someone who has done it.

We are not sure if we should take a gamble and take the local bus and cross the Cha Lo> Na Phao boarder.

Again we much appreciate the help!

#3 Jenn23le has been a member since 1/7/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by somuchtravel on 15/2/2015 at 07:32

Slightly relevant.....Crossed from Tha Kheak to Dong Hoi - trying to get to Phong Nha , but failing without stopping in Dong Hoi first.
I think our bus was at 7 am from Tha Keak and went all the way without changing. We arrived too late to catch a bus back to Phong Nha so we overnighted in Dong Hoi and went first thing in the morning via public bus. Here's some info about the mess of a border crossing in Vietnam:

#4 somuchtravel has been a member since 15/2/2015. Posts: 24
 Send somuchtravel a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.