Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary feedback please

Posted by girasole9 on 22/9/2014 at 00:29

Hi everybody,

Love this site, great board. We would like the community to give us some insight before we book our major incoming and outgoing flights.

Are we correct to assume that we can book the smaller flights from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap and from Siem Reap to Bangkok while we are in Asia rather than ahead of time?

Day 1 - Arrive Luang Prabang
Day 2 - Luang Prabang
Day 3 & 4 - Boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai (2 days - is that correct?)
Day 5 - Bus from Huay Xai to Luang NamTha (3.5 hrs)
Day 6 - 8 Trekking Muang Sing, Akha homestay
Day 9 - Luang NamTha
Day 10 - Luang NamTha to Luang Prabang
Day 11 - Luang Prabang to Siem Reap
Day 12 - 14 Siem Reap
Day 14 - Siem Reap to Bangkok
Day 15 - Bangkok
Day 16 - Depart Bangkok for US

Thanks in advance!

#1 girasole9 has been a member since 22/9/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 2

Posted by SoManyMiles on 23/9/2014 at 04:15 TF writer

re: Flights from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap
It depends on what time of year you will be travelling. During high season this flight is almost always full and requires advance booking.

Your itinerary is packed and you will be spending a lot of time just travelling from Point A to Point B. Are you ok with just 1 day in Luang Prabang and Siem Reap??? Is there a strong reason you want to do the 2-day slow boat ride from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai?

#2 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Posted by girasole9 on 23/9/2014 at 12:11

Thanks for your reply. Our main goals are trekking, an Akha homestay, and a cool boat ride. Originally I wanted to do the boat ride down the Nam Ou, but the dam issue squashed that idea. We saw the boat trip on the Mekong to get to Luang Namtha, so we figured that was the only/best way to get there. It looked to me like we would have 1.5 days in Luang Prabang at the beginning plus another half day after coming back from Luang Namtha on a bus.

We fly in to Bangkok 7am in the morning on Day 1—would it be smarter to skip Luang Prabang on Day 1 and go straight to Huay Xai then Luang Namtha, and hit Luang Prabang at the end Days 9, 10 and 11? That's the only thing I can think of.

After day 11 we are heading to Siem Reap for 3 days and then Bangkok/home. I guess we can cut that out if we have to in order to make the Laos trip more relaxed and enjoyable.

Based on your experience, how would you modify the trip?

#3 girasole9 has been a member since 22/9/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.