Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Eating in Luang Prabang and Vientiane

Posted by asill73 on 20/1/2015 at 22:21

I will spend one week in Luang Prabang and Vientiane as part of my one month trip to Indochina next month. Can anyone please tell me what and where to eat in these two cities? Of course I would love to try the local foods but some recommendations for nice Western restaurants would be great though.
Thanks

#1 asill73 has been a member since 5/1/2015. Posts: 8

Posted by mooball on 23/1/2015 at 03:57 TF writer

Depends what you're into, but there is some pretty good Indian food in Luang Prabang and Vientiane has endless Western restaurants of a high standard. Both cities have a few French bakery type places which I think are great as well as more expensive restaurants. What were you thinking?

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by asill73 on 2/2/2015 at 23:47

I'd like to balance between local foods and Western cuisine, especially French because I know there're many good places in LP and Vientiane providing French fine dining experiences.
I'd also like pizzas a lot.
Am in Vietnam and will head for Laos in a few days. So far it has been so good, hope Laos won't disappoint me.

#3 asill73 has been a member since 5/1/2015. Posts: 8

Posted by daawgon on 3/2/2015 at 16:06

Boy are you in luck! I'm also the pizza lover, and I personally think the pizza in Laos is excellent, but only at Scandinavian Bakery in LP or their branch (by another name?) in Vientiane. The small branch in LP is located on the main drag on the peninsula up by the primary school (suggest you look at Hobomaps.com).

Another cheap dinner is the night market vegetarian buffet (add chicken or fish at extra cost) - you select from a buffet and it's all woked up for you and then delivered to the communal table (there is no missing the night market, believe me.

(if your luck is with you, they might also have some scrumptious, fruity bread pudding in their cooler!)

If you're smart, you'll stay at Manichan Guesthouse because the cook/owner puts out a fantastic gourmet breakfast (center neat Wat Mai).

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by Rufus on 6/2/2015 at 19:10

I strongly disagree with Daawgon. There are some excellent pizza restaurants in Vientiane, but Swedish Bakery is not among the best by a long way, though they do have good breakfasts. La Terasse has very good pizzas as does Fohns pizza. There are a few others as well.
For Lao food I would try Tamnak Lao in LP. Bistro 22 is a good restaurant in Vientiane.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978

Posted by asill73 on 10/2/2015 at 22:58

Any of these make pizzas in a traditional wood-fired brick oven?
Thanks

#6 asill73 has been a member since 5/1/2015. Posts: 8

Posted by daawgon on 11/2/2015 at 13:39

I doubt the word-fired oven part, but I just wanted to add that you might find Vientiane not to your liking (esp if you've seen Luang Prabang first) - personally, I would return to LP any day in the week, but they can keep Vientiane!

My pizza experience goes back to my early days in New Jersey (best pies in the world) and my travels to Italy and France. I prefer traditional thin crust (New York style pizza) - the crust is the important part. The only thing I dislike about Asian pizza is that they rarely brown the pies to my satisfaction. Anyone know any good places for pizza in Hanoi? I understand I might find a good one in Penang?

#7 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by drc423 on 12/2/2015 at 14:04

In LP: Tamarind was delightful.

Ventiane: Le Vendome has both very good French and wood-fired pizza. However we gave the edge to Via Via, run by a couple of cute French guys.

#8 drc423 has been a member since 12/2/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by chasyuen on 12/2/2015 at 18:12

In LP, I liked Apsala (more than Tamarind) for higher end Lao flavors. They are next door to each other.

#9 chasyuen has been a member since 12/2/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by Rufus on 13/2/2015 at 20:38

No La Vendome does not have wood fired pizza; you are confusing this with another restaurant.
Laos Luna and Le Cote D'Azur do. There are one or two others that also have a wood fired oven.
Tamarind in Luang Prabang serves westernised Lao food. There are more authentic restaurants around.

#10 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978

Posted by Rufus on 14/2/2015 at 02:45

Daawgon, you are talking about pies or pizza? It is really hard to get pies in Vientiane now that the Oz butcher has closed. Pizzas are very common on the other hand.
I, of course, totally disagree with your comments on Vientiane. I generally find that those who don't like it really don't know the city at all.

#11 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978

Posted by daawgon on 14/2/2015 at 10:27

In New Jersey one refers to an individual pizza as a pie, and to tomato sauce as gravy. If you want something really special, I suggest the wood fired pies at the little pizzeria on the Corso Buenos Aires in Milano!

#12 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by vernede07 on 16/2/2015 at 16:45

hi

the best place in Luang Prabang is the restaurant "Tamarind" near the nam kane river !!!!

enjoy your meal

Fred

#13 vernede07 has been a member since 16/2/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 18/2/2015 at 09:41

I did enjoy Tamarind, but that outdoor Thai place down the street was super (across the same street and near the footbridge). The best breakfast in town has to be at Manichan Guesthouse - everything is homemade (even the 3 tropical jams).

#14 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by vernede07 on 18/2/2015 at 09:46

It's just a opinion ....

#15 vernede07 has been a member since 16/2/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by drc423 on 18/2/2015 at 13:13

Another nice thing about Tamarind: Laos is new to the service game. At times service slips, at other times it truly suffers. At Tamarind the service was superb. The food overall in L.P. was very good. Tamarind is a lovely night out.

#16 drc423 has been a member since 12/2/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by Rufus on 24/2/2015 at 02:50

At Tamarind you get westernised Lao food. It is not what Lao people eat.

#17 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978

Posted by asill73 on 24/2/2015 at 23:00

Thank you all for your advice. I've just returned from my month-long trip, and it was awesome

#18 asill73 has been a member since 5/1/2015. Posts: 8

Posted by SoManyMiles on 16/3/2015 at 03:44 TF writer

There are two places that do woodfire pizza in Luang Prabang : Pizza Phan Luang (in Ban Phan Luang across the bamboo bridge, near Dyen Sabai Restaurant) and "secret pizza" which is quite possibly the best pizza you will ever have -- it rivals pizzas I've had in Italy. Secret Pizza is a popular spot with expats but it is not so secret anymore now that it is in Lonely Planet.

You will be spoiled for choice in both cities. Some personal favorites in Luang Prabang are: Cafe Toui; Tangor; Sam Phaed sindad (Lao BBQ); Blue Lagoon; Bamboo Tree; The Terrace

Happy eating

#19 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Posted by travellerLaos on 30/11/2015 at 08:35

there are some nice place to eat in Luang Prabang, depend of your budget, blue lagoon is one tthe best but if u like italian food and lao food I reccomend you the new restaurant La Silapa, in front of Wat Aham (and near Wat Visoun) is really nice place with garden, terrace etc.. and I think they gonna sell pizza from december. Others option is Night Market or Opera House.

#20 travellerLaos has been a member since 30/11/2015. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.