Text page

Laos

Laos forum

What are Visa requirements for Englishman to live in Laos for ever

Posted by scoopybombam on 27/4/2015 at 05:42

Hi, I am an Englishman living in Thailand on a 12 month retirement visa. I am just about to renew the 12 month retirement visa. I have met a lady from Laos and we are going to live in Laos forever, hopefully. How do I arrange this? How do I get a visa for Laos. I will like a visa to last as long as possible. Where do I get a visa from? Does this involve "border runs"? I intend living in Labang Prabang which is near to Xsayaboury where my girlfriends family live. I am 67 so I want a system that is as quick and simple and inexpensive as possible. Thanks

#1 scoopybombam has been a member since 27/4/2015. Posts: 9

Posted by MADMAC on 27/4/2015 at 10:59

Here is the simple answer - forget it.

One, you can not get married to a Laos woman. You are too old. Believe it or not, Laos has an age limit at which non-Laos persons can marry a Laos national, and that limit is 65. You can marry her in another country, but Laos won't accept the marriage as legitimate.

Two, you need to be careful when going to Laos. I would assume you are having a sexual relationship with this girlfriend. Laos has a law called the "Laos for Laos" law . It is a crime for you to have sex with a Laos woman. Of course, you can only be prosecuted for that crime in backwards ass Laos. So, cross it off your list.

Three - Laos does not offer a retirement Visa option for those wishing to retire there. There are work arounds, but that's what they are. You get caught playing the system and you are looking at getting milked out of serious money (though word around the campfire is the risk is fairly low).

All of this information is available at Laos consular services in Thailand. I have a buddy who went down this route already. Could be laws have changed, so it's worth checking out. But I doubt it.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Rufus on 2/5/2015 at 20:05

" Laos has a law called the "Laos for Laos" law . It is a crime for you to have sex with a Laos woman."
That pretty much is not enforced these days, Mac - unless you piss off a cop.
No retirement visa, so you need to do a border run ever month unless you manage to get a B2 work visa.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978

Posted by MADMAC on 3/5/2015 at 23:15

"That pretty much is not enforced these days, Mac - unless you piss off a cop."

Really? I have a buddy who is in his 70s and he married a girl from Laos in Australia, she was mid 20s. He wants to go live there, but because of the age 65 thing he can't get the marriage authenticated in Laos and he's concerned if he moves there with her he'll have trouble from local authorities. What's your take?

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Rufus on 4/5/2015 at 19:57

I suspect he will have no problems.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 978

Posted by ThaiStick on 16/5/2015 at 01:46

Besides job sponsorship, how else can someone get a B2 work visa? I hear that you can purchase a work visa through a travel agent for about $500. Is it possible?

#6 ThaiStick has been a member since 17/4/2013. Posts: 20

Posted by Noy_Ny510 on 12/9/2015 at 14:27

I think your wife can help you.

#7 Noy_Ny510 has been a member since 12/9/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by Gogomobile on 12/9/2015 at 18:05

75 and 25 is creepy. No one should be marrying someone who is 50 years older or younger. That is just sick.

#8 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by MADMAC on 12/9/2015 at 23:20

"75 and 25 is creepy. No one should be marrying someone who is 50 years older or younger. That is just sick."

People enter relationships for a lot of reasons. We like the idea of romantic love - TV is full of it and we have an image of what marriage is that of course doesn't remotely match reality. 25 is an adult. 75 is an adult. What two adults decide to do is up to them. I'm not in the judgement business. What motivates them - their backgrounds, their ambitions, their desires - is up to them. In cases like this it's usually economics that drive the train. Well, if he's willing to spend his hard earned money on said lady, and she's willing to be with him in order to get it, so be it. Not for the rest of us to judge really.

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by antoniamitchell on 13/9/2015 at 05:20

Well said, Madmac.

#10 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 569

Posted by Gogomobile on 13/9/2015 at 07:13

It is still creepy.

#11 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.