Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Can I bring my Thai registered car into Laos

Posted by scoopybombam on 20/5/2015 at 19:51

Hi guys
My partner and I bought a car on finance in Thailand. The car finance and the car ownership is in my partners name as I could not get finance. I paid the deposit and make the monthly payments. We have since separated and I have the car but still in her name, still making monthly payments I want to enter Laos in the car and either keep it there or do the monthly border run in it. Can it be done and which is the best way? Presumably I take it back to Thailand every 12 months to re-register it.
Cheers, thanks a lot

#1 scoopybombam has been a member since 27/4/2015. Posts: 9

Posted by DLuek on 20/5/2015 at 21:42 TF writer

My understanding is that you can only take a car across the border if you own it. In this case it sounds like the bank still owns it, so you wouldn't be able to. Even if it was paid off I doubt you could take it by yourself since it's not in your name. People at thaivisa.com could provide better answers than you'll get here on this sort of thing.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by Captain_Bob on 21/5/2015 at 00:34

Vehicle has to be registered in your name and even then you can only legally take it to Laos temporarily.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Posted by deeral on 23/5/2015 at 10:00

If the car has finance on it, I believe you'll find that you need legal permission from the finance company to take the vehicle out of the country.

Usually the name on the blue book indicates who the owner is........if it's under finance, then the finance company's name will be on the book......if it is in your wife's name then she will have to give permission to take it out the country.......

Taking a car you own into Laos is pretty easy.....you need a "car passport" - this is the "purple book" which is available from your local Dept land Transport. the cost is about 50 baht and it takes about an hour or two.
You'll need the blue book and proof of address (from immigration) and any other documents connected to the car. plus proof of your own identity.
There are various forms to fill out at the border and the customs and immigration officers are usually pretty helpful telling you which window to go to.
Once in Laos a few more quick forms and then you are through.....after that be sure to buy Laos insurance from the shop at the border it is about 300 baht per week and you get the legally require sticker for the window.....just how much cover you get is pretty limited...

There are several places where you can cross into Las now too... some of the more rural ones may not have insurance or late night crossing.

PS - You don't need special number plates for Laos....but remember to drive on the right.

#4 deeral has been a member since 15/6/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by deeral on 23/5/2015 at 10:04

Sorry just saw the second part of the post. You can only take the car into Laos for limited periods....... the other problem is that after 6 months (i think) you will lose your Thai registration. Furthermore importing the car permanently into Laos may well attract a 100% duty, maybe even on the original retail price!
foreigners can now buy cars in Laos but I'm not sure of the process.

#5 deeral has been a member since 15/6/2013. Posts: 8

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.