Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Can you get VOA if on the International bus crossing at Thali

Posted by scoopybombam on 20/5/2015 at 21:49

Hi guys,
Can you get VOA at Thali border crossing if you are on the Internatkonal Bus from Loei to Luang Prabang or does it cause a holdup that the bus will not wait for?
Cheers

#1 scoopybombam has been a member since 27/4/2015. Posts: 9

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by weblo on 28/5/2015 at 13:45

Any time I have taken a bus to different countries, we have changed buses at border crossings.
I may be wrong but I believe your bus from Thailand will drop you off at the border, you will cross, exit thai immigration and then enter Laos immigration. Then a different bus will take you to your destination.
Either way, you will NOT have a problem, the bus will wait for you.

#2 weblo has been a member since 26/7/2012. Posts: 9

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 28/5/2015 at 15:34

I've done the International Bus from Thailand to Laos or reverse three times now. Once from Vientiane to Nong Khai. Once from Mukdahan to Savannakhet. Once from Pakse to Ubon. All three times the bus stopped at the border for people to pass through customs and immigration, including those needing to get a visa on arrival. Then we got back on the same bus and continued to the final destination.

I haven't taken the Loei to LP route or reverse, so can't say for sure if the border crossing into Laos has visa on arrival at that location or not. I expect it would, but it is smart to double check. Do you know the name of that border crossing? If so, you can check it against the list of Lao border posts that issue visa on arrival. I hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,782
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/5/2015 at 08:35

10375663214_41c41937ae_z.jpg

On the Thai side it's known as the Ban Na Kra Seng or Tha Li checkpoint. This picture is from Feb 2007 my first time there. Asked Immigration about Laos visa on arrival and they said yes, but I didn't actually cross (due to rental car). Have been back a few times and it's still a "yes VOA". This was also confirmed by TF user squarethecircle who did the bus ride last August.

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/24398_new-loei-sayabouly-luang-prabang-international-bus

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by exacto on 29/5/2015 at 14:01

Awesome picture. I love the sign in Thai that mentions the death penalty for drug trafficking. I wonder who that is for? Regards.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,782
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.