Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Asking for passport details before travel for tourist police??

Posted by chinhead on 1/11/2007 at 18:43

I have booked a 3 day stay at the Elephant lodge in Luang Prabang, they have emailed us asking for our passport details for the tourist police?? Is this the norm, sorry to ask but I have no idea if i should give it or not!? Hope you can help

Thanks in advance

#1 chinhead has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 1/11/2007 at 21:19

hi neill,

it is standard for hotels in the region to collect your passport information to provide to the tourist police. i remember a few times in less-travelled areas of thailand where they even insisted on holding my passport overnight.

i have a faint recollection of a few hotels and travel agents requesting this information ahead of time as well. i know that one place i stayed in cambodia definitely did, for exactly this same reason.

the short answer is that this isn't particularly unusual, and that the lodge is just following the instructions they've been given by the tourist police. don't worry. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by goo_stewart on 3/11/2007 at 13:49

Yes, you must supply your passport details by law in Laos (and most other SEA countries). Usually this is done at registration, but I see nothing particularly unusual about doing it before you arrive. You should of course be discrete in supplying your details, but remember it is a requirement to give them to hotels and guest houses where you stay.

#3 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.