Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

March Air Travel in Laos

Posted by ozscott on 2/11/2007 at 17:37

Hi TT'ers,

I'll be in Laos next March for 2.5 weeks. I have been trying to organise an Laos Discovery Air Pass with much difficulty.
All the flights I want to do are with Laos Airlines (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientiane - Pakse - Siem Reap).
Bangkok Airways and Siem Reap Airways don't want to know me!
I have tried to contact Laos Airlines (both in Laos and regional offices) on numerous occassions by email with no response, and local travel agents (regional NSW) are clueless about terms, conditions, costs and booking requirements (so I don't really trust them to get it right or charge me fairly)...

So, given I'll be in Laos at the end of their high season, do I even need to book my flights?

Should I just fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang, go and see a Laos Airlines office and book my additional ongoing flights whilst in country?

Will I be able to get seats on short notice during March from a Laos Airlines office at Luang Prabang?

Once again, many thanks in advance for all replies - appreciated!!!

OzScott

#1 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/11/2007 at 10:49 admin

Main advantage of doing this on a Discovery Airpass is it's considerably cheaper that way. However you can't buy it once you're in-country so you need to sort it out beforehand. From memory there's a list of international agents buried somewhere on the Bangkok Airways site, so perhaps look for a Sydney contact and give them a call.

Regarding the need to book, March won't be all that busy, and as long as you're a bit flexible with your dates, then it should be ok, but it will cost more.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ozscott on 3/11/2007 at 13:12

Hi mahout,

Thanks for your response...

Bangkok Airways don't want to know me as no flight is with Bangkok Airways. They suggested I add a Bangkok Airways flight to my intinary - then they could book - but I'm not going to any of their destinations.

Similarily, Siem Reap Airlines also declined to book the flights for the same reason.

Any other thoughts on pre-arranging these Laos Airlines flights prior to departure, other than a local travel agent?

Thanks,
OzScott

#3 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Posted by Rufus on 4/11/2007 at 06:05

There is a Laos Airline office in Melbourne. Why don't you try that?

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by Rufus on 4/11/2007 at 06:10

There is a Laos Airline office in Melbourne. Why don't you try that?

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by williamseccombe on 5/11/2007 at 16:08

Hi, you can fly on Vietnam airlines from Hanoi to Luang Prabang (direct each week day). Your suggestion to go to local airline office there is a good bet. Was there in April and had no problem at all booking at short notice for Luang Prabang to Vientiane and Pakse. One tip, because of the weather, Lao Airlines are known to take the gap on occasion and leave up to an hour early!

#6 williamseccombe has been a member since 1/3/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by williamseccombe on 5/11/2007 at 16:10

Hi, you can fly on Vietnam airlines from Hanoi to Luang Prabang (direct each week day). Your suggestion to go to local airline office there is a good bet. Was there in April and had no problem at all booking at short notice for Luang Prabang to Vientiane and Pakse. One tip, because of the weather, Lao Airlines are known to take the gap on occasion and leave up to an hour early!

#7 williamseccombe has been a member since 1/3/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by jesseroth on 28/11/2007 at 04:26

Are there direct flights from Hanoi to Pakse? If not, what's the fastest way to get there, and how many days should I allow?

#8 jesseroth has been a member since 25/11/2007. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.