Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Best Bus from Vietnam to Laos?

Posted by goonistik on 12/7/2015 at 10:24

I am planning a SEA trip. I will probably start in Siem Reap go down to Phnom Penh than to HCMC. In Vietnam, from HCMC I will head northwards to Hanoi.

My question is what is my best option to travel by bus from Vietnam to Laos? I would like to avoid the hellish Hanoi-LP bus. I would prefer to break my trip because even 9 hours on a bus is tiresome. I've checked the Border Crossings but the info seems oriented to people who are crossing from Laos to Vietnam, rather than the other way around.

#1 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by tf_geckozy on 13/7/2015 at 14:16

>even 9 hours on a bus is tiresome

Now there are 7 points of international border crossing between Viet Nam and Laos but border crossing points that easily meet your high requirement(=less 9 hours in a bus) are 2 routes only among 7 as below .

(1)the most northern border crossing point between Viet Nam and Laos from Dien Bien Phu(VN) to Muang Khua(Laos)=from northern Viet Nam to northern Laos---5-6 hours by direct bus including the time of exit & entry formalities at the borders.

(2)The most southern border crossing point between Viet Nam and Laos from Kon Tum or Ngoc Hoi(VN) to Attapeu(Laos)=from Central Highlands in Viet Nam to southern Laos---3-3.5 hours by direct bus including the time of exit & entry formalities at the borders.

The time of bus ride in other routes are over 9 hours from base town(VN) to base town(Laos) .

#2 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by goonistik on 17/7/2015 at 08:35

Thanks. I'll have a look at the Dien Ben Phu bus. I found a youtube video of Malaysian who used that route.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563

Posted by MADMAC on 18/7/2015 at 00:50

You can go from Hue to Savanakhet in about 6 hours.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by goonistik on 20/7/2015 at 10:14

Madmac,

Thanks.

#5 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563

Posted by MADMAC on 20/7/2015 at 10:30

No problemo. You come through Muk, look me up.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.