Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Road Conditions - Lao Bao to Savannakhet

Posted by carlosmm4 on 13/7/2015 at 20:58

I am interested to know about the road conditions to cross Laos.

plan is to start at Lao Bao border in Vietnam with Dansanvah in Laos
and Cross Laos to border with Thailand at Savannakhet

is the road ok to travel in a mini bus ?
or is the road at times of the year (example in monsoon season) not able to be travelled by mini bus and only able to be travelled with a 4wd jeep or motorbike

#1 carlosmm4 has been a member since 13/7/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by mooball on 31/7/2015 at 08:44 TF writer

I haven't ridden that road, but the ones I have ridden in Southern Laos have been excellent. I mean the major ones. The minor ones are rubbish. But the major ones are largely surfaced these days.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Armando696 on 6/11/2016 at 08:45

Hello Carlos, the road is mostly in very good condition, on both sides of the border. Small stretches are still under construction or repair. I did the journey on a direct bus from Hue to Savannakhet in Jan. 2016. It is a Lao company from Savannakhet. Starts at 08 a.m. from Hue bus station and arrives in Savannakhet at around 05.30 p.m. at the bus station in Savannakhet. Several food and toilet stops on the way, at the border no problem, the bus waits until people have finished border processing. Don't change money at the border, poor rates. Booking of the bus ticket possible in most GH in Hue.

#3 Armando696 has been a member since 15/4/2009. Location: Switzerland. Posts: 20
 Send Armando696 a private message   Where has Armando696 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.