Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Road Conditions: from Huay Kon/Nguen via ROUTE 4 B to Luang Prubang

Posted by falangsabai on 15/7/2015 at 20:00

We want to drive from Huay Kon/Nguen to Luang Prubang. In looking at a newer road map it looks like there is a new road ROUTE 4B that goes directly to Luang Prubang. You do not need to go via Sayanbury as before.

Has anyone actualy driven this route recently?
-Is the road paved and in good condition?
-Is it mountainous?
-Is it safe?
-Gas stations?
-Border crossing at Huay Kon: Can go in and out of Laos, can I get VOA there.
-What is the distance?

Previously we had planned to enter at Tha Li Loei, but want to drive as little distance as possible in Laos. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

#1 falangsabai has been a member since 15/7/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by telmi on 16/7/2015 at 01:10

check out this link for a Nov. 2014 report that funds have been allocated for upgrade of Route 4B in Laos http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-information/6420-new-road-nan-luang-prabang.html. I can confirm that the road in Chomphet District near Luang Prabang is still a rough dirt road with no signs of construction activity and I strongly suspect the section from Hongsa to LP is still a miserable dirt road that becomes almost impassable in the wet season. The comment in the article above that they will need a bridge to be constructed across the Mekong at LP is incorrect as there is a vehicle ferry there now that has been operating for many years. I talked to two German cyclers who travelled 4B a couple years ago in the wet season and they had to spend an extra day in a village along the way cause the mud was sticky clay that globs onto wheels and stops all vehicle traffic.

#2 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 32

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by falangsabai on 16/7/2015 at 02:12

Thank you Telmi. I had thought it might be a new road because it does not appear on some other maps. I think it is not shown because it is not a reccomended route. We're now rethinking our plans.

#3 falangsabai has been a member since 15/7/2015. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.