Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Is Laos developing a new party scene to replace VV?

Posted by MADMAC on 29/7/2015 at 09:09

I was reading some old Travelfish posts and was reminded of the death of the VV party scene. Is it being replaced within Laos, or did the concept just die altogether?

#1 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by Kuduman1 on 31/7/2015 at 10:53

I truly believe that Laos wants to distance itself away from this status. My niece was in VV during the mayhem.
She was truly embarrassed at her Ozzie countryman and their behavior .
It was getting out of hand.
It is still a party town , but away from the river,

#2 Kuduman1 has been a member since 23/7/2015. Posts: 6

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by MADMAC on 31/7/2015 at 11:50

I've always thought it's a good idea to have one place like this for kids to go to. Keep it kind of centralized. In Thailand you got the FMP and Khao San Road. VV seemed to serve that purpose in Laos, although perhaps the location wasn't the best choice. Someplace where there just aren't any locals to annoy which builds up around the party scene would seem best. Would seem to be a financial incentive to do this...

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by antoniamitchell on 1/8/2015 at 03:18

What's the scene like in Don Dhet?

Just curious because I recently saw some silly British reality show focusing on a Brit who had moved to Don Dhet, and the show was (of course) pretending like it was the most isolated place imaginable, like this dude was Robinson Crusoe. Funnily enough the show never mentioned all the guesthouses and tourists on the island....

#4 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 553
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 2/8/2015 at 04:41

"Just curious because I recently saw some silly British reality show focusing on a Brit who had moved to Don Dhet, and the show was (of course) pretending like it was the most isolated place imaginable, like this dude was Robinson Crusoe."

Which is funny, since the guy is actually living the dream.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.