Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Northern Thailand and Laos in Feb2016

Posted by Nappyeshi on 24/8/2015 at 13:10

Hi all,
I'm planning my trip in advance for February during Tet/ Chinese New Year holidays and wish to start from Vientiane - Luang Prabang- Luang Nam Tha- Gibbon Experience- Houay Xai - Chiang Rai- Chiang Mai- Bangkok(only transit). Since most of the travel will be by road, so I would like advice and experience on how crowded Laos would be and if its advisable to book hotels and buses in advance? Just that we don't want to be stuck or bored due to non availability of bus tickets or stay in bad hotels, or end up overpaying for everything.
Also does it sound feasible for a 14days trip? Any other suggestions to skip/ change any place would be helpful as I would prefer to take night buses so that most of the time doesn't get wasted in commuting .

#1 Nappyeshi has been a member since 24/8/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 25/8/2015 at 00:28

14 days - 7 locations - that's one day per with one travel day per. You'll need a vacation to recover from your vacation.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Nappyeshi on 25/8/2015 at 00:43

Ha ha, no I wish to but I will do only 4 locations in the 14 days. That's a rough itinerary of the places I thought about and will narrow it down to 4 places plus one point to end/ departure. But even for 4 places I'm wondering about committee options and timings.

#3 Nappyeshi has been a member since 24/8/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 25/8/2015 at 11:14

I would say Vientiane, Laung Prabang, Chiang Rai... Movement to each will take real time.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Clay1963 on 26/8/2015 at 16:21

I wonder if flights between Vientiane, Luang Prabang, and Chiang Mai would be expensive during the holidays.

International flight to Vientiane. Then fly to LP. Then fly from LP to Chiang Mai. Then finally an international flight out of Chiang Mai.

That would give about 4 days in each of the three destinations of Vientiane, Luang Prabang, and Chang Mai. But I have no idea really if that makes sense.

#5 Clay1963 has been a member since 16/8/2015. Posts: 21

Posted by SoManyMiles on 29/8/2015 at 08:51 TF writer

Hi Clay1963,

Flights in and out of Laos don't fluctuate. Lao Airlines ticket prices are constant -- and they are pricey by Asia standards. The only time they change is when they occasionally have promotions, usually during low season. So to answer your question, flights between Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Chiang Mai would be expensive during the holidays but they are always expensive.

But for your itinerary and with only 14 days, then it is definitely advisable to fly. Where would you be flying to Laos from? If from Bangkok, I suggest splurging on a flight from Bangkok to Luang Prabang, then after Luang Prabang take the 2 day slow boat journey to Huay Xai, do the Gibbon experience, then it's an easy road journey to Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai. With that one flight and boat trip, you avoid the worst roads.

Hope this helps

#6 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 146

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.