Text page

Laos

Laos forum

December 2015: Luang Prabang - Nong Khiaw - Muang Ngoi

Posted by ttdub on 25/9/2015 at 23:37

My wife and I will be spending 8 full days in Laos in December. We fly into LP on the afternoon of the 25th of Dec and fly out of LP on the 3rd of Jan.
Hoping to get some feedback on where to spend some of our time. We'd like to not feel too rushed, and would like to get out of LP for a few days and spend some time in the countryside hiking/cycling/kayaking/scenery/relaxing.

Have read that Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi would be good options.

We'll probably spend the first 3 nights in LP then head out to NK/MN for 4 nights and then back to LP for 2 nights. Should we spend 2 nights in NK and 2 nights in MN or is it better to just stay in one of those places (NK or MN)?

Should we book accommodations in advance in NK/MN since it is Christmas week leading to NYE?
Thanks!

#1 ttdub has been a member since 24/9/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by mooball on 29/9/2015 at 18:58 TF writer

I'd split my time between those two towns... 4 nights in Muang Ngoi gets pretty close to the limit of boredom for me. I've done that a couple of times and it's amazing how much relaxing by the side of the river you can do combined with sightseeing in such a small amount of time. I guess it's something to do with the size of the village itself. Tiny!

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by tf_geckozy on 30/9/2015 at 00:08

First of all,
>Should we book accommodations in advance in NK/MN since it is Christmas week leading to NYE?
---for almost of Lao People, western people's Christmas & NYE days are no relation with them because they have their own Lao New Year so you don't need to mind about them.

As for Muang Ngoi , i haven't been to Muang Ngoi for many years though i visited there several times before so i have nothing to refer now but as for Nong Khiaw, i like Nong Khiaw very much so every time i went to LPB, i visited NK, and last time(Jun.2015) when i went to Nong Khiaw, i ascent "Phadeng Peak" very close to NK town.

My recommendation at NK---"Panoramic view of Phadeng Peak"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93515541@N04/albums/72157658867673500
*from NK town(=bridge end at Sam Neua side) to the entrance of "Phadeng Peak" along the road--about 20mins walk
*from the entrance to "Phadeng Peak"--about 45 mins(=one hour with slow pace walking) of ascending steep slope, and you will reach to the top and have stunning scenery from the top where there is a terrace for resting.
*You have to pay entrance feee 20,000Kip

As for other trecking, kayaking, hiking etc, please consult with your guide-book, internet, tour desk.

#3 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by tf_geckozy on 30/9/2015 at 01:45

I'll correct #3 post,

>from the entrance to "Phadeng Peak"--about 45 mins(=one hour with slow pace walking) of ascending steep slope

---from the entrance along the roaad to the top of "Phadeng Peak", about 1h30mins by ascending steep slope(=two hours with slow pace walking) , and about 45 mins for descending.

#4 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by ttdub on 30/9/2015 at 23:27

Thanks Mooball. We'll keep that in mind regarding splitting up the time between MN and NK.

Appreciate the feedback TF_geckozy, guess I was more concerned about the expats in region who go on holiday around that time (and I guess those out of region as well). Just hoping to secure a hammock with a river view and a book in hand.

Phadeng Peak, looks great, we'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the advice.

#5 ttdub has been a member since 24/9/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by SoManyMiles on 2/10/2015 at 22:46 TF writer

re: "Should we book accommodations in advance in NK/MN since it is Christmas week leading to NYE?"

For Nong Kiaow and Luang Prabang, yes, especially if you want something of a higher standard - in Nong Kiaow, there are only two. Xmas and NY is peak travel season for Laos and in Luang Prabang, almost everything is full.

#6 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Posted by Ruthbrain on 7/10/2015 at 23:40

Nong Khiaw is well worth a visit - stunning scenery and very laid back. It may be worth booking accommodation if you are particular about what you want as there isn't a huge amount of good accommodation there. We did a one day trek with NK Adventure - highly recommended. We caught a boat up river to visit 2 villages (very special), hiked to a beautiful waterfall and had a delicious lunch provided by the tour company, then kayaked back to NK. Didn't get to Muang Ngoi but believe it is also beautiful.

#7 Ruthbrain has been a member since 6/4/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by SoManyMiles on 8/10/2015 at 04:55 TF writer

Nice to hear @Ruthbrain. We reviewed almost the exact same trip with NK Adventures here:
https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/laos/northern_laos/luang_prabang/nong_kiaow/2731

It's a great day trip from Nong Kiaow and I still vividly remember that delicious lunch.

#8 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Posted by ProfKaramba on 24/1/2016 at 09:17

Hi guys

We just did a 1 day tour with NK adventure up to Muang Ngoi and further up with fishing and it was awesome. We definitely recommend Mr Mang services, we had a great time.
And the price is cheaper than the others too.

#9 ProfKaramba has been a member since 10/12/2010. Posts: 7

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.