Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Muang Sing and Luang Namtha - late Dec / early Jan

Posted by dg234 on 29/10/2015 at 04:39

My husband and I are thinking about trekking in either Muang Sing or Luang Namtha starting around December 28th. We have a flexible schedule. Do we need to book accommodations and treks ahead of time during this time of year? I have seen other people recommended booking ahead for travel in Luang Prabang and nearby destinations during this time of year.

#1 dg234 has been a member since 4/7/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by mooball on 30/10/2015 at 00:49 TF writer

I haven't been to either place in December, but both are fairly quiet towns. Muang Sing in particular is very quiet and I can't imagine you having any problem joining a trek there. LNT might be different, but I doubt it. The town seems to have enough infrastructure to cope with an influx of tourists should there be one -- ie enough hotels and tour guides to take people around.

If it were me, I wouldn't book in advance. In fact, I'll be going through that part of Laos at that exact time and I have no plans on booking and I doubt there will be problems. Sure, prices might be higher due to hotel occupancy levels, but I don't expect there to be no rooms.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by deeral on 3/11/2015 at 18:43

I stayed in Luang Namtha at that time of year 2 years ago.

I didn't have a problem fining accommodation - and there appeared to be a lot of backpackers there.
one thing though....it was very cold at night - about 6 degrees. by midday it had warmed up again.

#3 deeral has been a member since 15/6/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by Patrickc on 12/11/2015 at 09:12

I loved hiking in Luang Namtha. If what you want to do is just hiking I don't think you have to book in advance, though the best agencies (in my opinion Forest retreat and Green Discovery) can have big groups at times. For green discovery you can check day by day on the website how many people are booked for a tour. By the way, I wrote about my experience here.

#4 Patrickc has been a member since 6/10/2014. Posts: 5

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.