Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Champasak to Pakse - bus/taxi/tuktuk

Posted by robney on 29/11/2015 at 18:33

Hello, we plan to fly out of Pakse at 12:00, does anybody know if there are buses/tuktuks that leave Champasak to Pakse early in the morning so we can be at the Pakse airport before 11:00? I've heard the trip can take 1-2 hours but would like to see if there is agreement. Any suggestions on best way to get there and cost could be appreciated. If we have to, we'll go to Pakse the night before to ensure we can get to our flight on time.
Cheers!

#1 robney has been a member since 12/11/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 29/11/2015 at 22:38

hi robney,
i'm afraid I've only done this trip by boat, and the boat crashed on the rocks, turning the short trip into a half-day adventure. because of the distance from champasak to pakse, because you need to get across the river, and because (at least as I recall) the airport is north of pakse, adding more distance and time to your trip, i'd likely try to get to pakse the night before so I could relax and not worry about making it to the airport on time. pakse has lots of restaurants and a lively but laid back night scene.
having said that, once you get to champasak, you could always check with your guest house to see if they have an early shuttle making the trip that morning. i'd want to leave pretty early to make sure, but if you can find a departure time that fits your comfort zone (I'd aim for the 8 am range), then that might be an option for your too. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,840

Posted by amnicoll on 30/11/2015 at 05:11

pakse also has excellent fish in the evening by the river (or did when I was there)

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by billytheliar on 1/12/2015 at 02:50

When I was in Champasak (2013) there was a morning songthaew (pretty early, I think 7 or 8 am) and an afternoon one to Pakse, the cost beeing 30,000 and 40,000 kip. I was told that the afternoon route included crossing the river (the reason for the price difference) and continuing over road 13. The morning route - which I used - was over the new road (parallel to the western shore of Mekong) and took something like one hour. So, theoretically, you'll have no problems catching your flight. But of course, as exacto wrote, your guest house should have the accurate up to date info.

#4 billytheliar has been a member since 3/4/2012. Posts: 48

Posted by robney on 18/12/2015 at 20:20

Great, thank you for the information, it was very helpful. Cheers & happy travelling!

#5 robney has been a member since 12/11/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by robney on 5/2/2016 at 01:11

Hello, made the trip this morning, got a local bus (songthaew) that picked us up outside our hotel in Champasak (20 000 kip per person) at 7:30 a.m. and less than 1 hour later was at the bus station near the big bridge in Pakse. This was a highway only trip, no ferry. Cheers!

#6 robney has been a member since 12/11/2015. Posts: 4

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.