Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Laos visa extension

Posted by scoopybombam on 10/12/2015 at 20:03

I want to stay in Laos for about 12 months, is it possible to get a visa that will enable me to stay longer than the normal 30 days. The cost of transport across the border, hotel, transport back and 1400 baht for visa for UK citizen is very prohibitive. Is there any way round this. I am retired, not working, with a 12 month Thai Retirement Visa. It takes a 10 hour very bumpy bus journey, an overnight stay and then a 10 hour very bumpy bus journey back at the very minimum. I am 68 and find the 10 hour bus journey very hard and tiring so it usualy turns into 2 or 3 overnight stays which is just a waste of time or more expense in Loei looking round. It also fills up my passport very quickly with full page visas and border stamps so my passport may not last the full 12 months. Can I renew my passport in Laos or Thailand so I do not need to go back to the UK before I am ready to?Any advice would be much appreciated

#1 scoopybombam has been a member since 27/4/2015. Posts: 9

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/12/2015 at 10:06

You can extend a tourist visa 2x30 days without leaving the country, so you'd only need to do the border run every three months. You would need to return to Thailand every 90 days anyway to maintain your retirement visa (90 days reports). Also, if your retirement (non-imm-o) visa is single entry you'd need to arrange a re-entry permit each time you leave (return to Laos).

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.