Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Feedback on itinerary and a few questions....?

Posted by rabbit45 on 17/1/2016 at 13:51

Apologies to those of you who also lurk TA, I'm duplicating my post. Just not enough people posting on the Laos forum.

Roughing out our two-ish week trip to Laos in July. Husband and I, early 30s, enjoy being active, nature, food, culture, adventure. I know it's monsoon season in July, so I'm not sure how realistic travel in Northern Laos will be, but here goes...

* We will be entering from Chiang Rai, traveling first to Luang Namtha or Muang Sing (or both?) Here, we're interested in eco-tourism and overnight trekking. We'll probably allow 4 nights.
*Next on to Nong Kiaow with the possibility of taking a boat up to Muang Ngoi as well - 4 nights.
*Finally to Luang Prabang for 4-5 nights. (We're flying to Vietnam next, so we'll need to end somewhere with an airport.)

We're leaving out the more popular places, but aren't sure if it's worth heading West to the Plain of Jars. It just didn't seem to make sense with our itinerary. We're spending the three weeks prior in Myanmar so I think we'll have our fill of historic sights there.
So my questions are...
- I know that we will need to be flexible during monsoon season. But is travel going to be near impossible in the North? Or are the roads in fairly good condition?
- Any preferences on Luang Namtha or Muang Sing? There isn't much on this on the forums I've checked.
- Are there any villages along the way that would be worth a visit that I've overlooked? We may have a few extra days to play around with.
- Are four-ish nights in each location a good amount of time?

Thanks so much! Appreciate the help.

#1 rabbit45 has been a member since 22/12/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by mikal83 on 21/1/2016 at 06:18

4/5 nights in LP. Way too long. Try 2/3.

#2 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.