Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Currency exchanges

Posted by rosaan on 29/1/2016 at 13:57

Hi everyone!
I will go to Luang Prabang next summer...Is it possible to change money before to pay the visa at the airport?
Thanks!

#1 rosaan has been a member since 28/1/2016. Posts: 7

Posted by khunwilco on 30/1/2016 at 07:35

the fee varies depending on your nationality, it is usually best to pay in US dollars

#2 khunwilco has been a member since 30/4/2014. Posts: 10

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 30/1/2016 at 19:31

Hi,
Just like khunwilco says, it is usually best to pay in US dollars. You won't need to exchange your money into kip for the visa on arrival, but you should have US dollars to pay for it. It is usually in the $30 to $35 range, plus an extra dollar or so for arrivals outside of normal business hours - but as wilco notes, the fee depends on the nationality of your passport.
I have seen people pay for visa on arrival in currencies other than US dollars, but at very unfavorable exchange rates.
I have not flown into Luang Prabang for a long time now. It used to be that currency exchange was only available past immigration and customs. I don't know if that is still the case. Rates were not too good at the airport, so we used to just exchange a small amount of cash and then look for a better rate in town. ATM would give you the same rate no matter where, so that is a good option too. Good luck.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,766
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by rosaan on 31/1/2016 at 14:49

Thank you for quick reply. I have € (I'm from Spain) and I will need to change the same to $ or Lao's money. I think can pay with euro too.

#4 rosaan has been a member since 28/1/2016. Posts: 7

Posted by khunwilco on 31/1/2016 at 19:54

Euro will cost more - even paying in Laos Kip costs more......just buy some dollars at home.....it's as said about $35.

#5 khunwilco has been a member since 30/4/2014. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.