Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Traveling from Luang Prabang (Laos) to Mandalay (Myanmar/Burma)

Posted by Marimo on 31/1/2016 at 16:36

Hi! I could only find posts that was a few years old about this topic so I made a new one :-)

I am wondering if someone knows if it is now possible to travel by any other means than an expensive flight from Luang Prabang to Mandalay (Laos/Myanmar)?

If I understand things right it is still not possible to cross any direct borders between Laos and Myanmar/Burma, but may it be possible to get from one country to the other via Thailand? Eg. Huay Xai to Chiang Khong (Laos/Thailand) and then Mae Sai to Tachileik (Thailand/Myanmar)? (or are those crossings only "one way"?)

#1 Marimo has been a member since 31/1/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/2/2016 at 01:48

Of course you can enter Thailand somewhere like Huay Xai / Chiang Khong, and now it's possible to enter Myanmar by land at a few border crossings with a Myanmar visa (available at Myanmar consulate in Chiang Mai). It's possible to enter at Mae Sai / Tachilek, but probably won't get past Kengtung overland due to restricted area. Many travellers are going in via Mae Sot / Myawaddy with bus transport to Yangon. So yes you can transit via Thailand without flying. Hope that helps.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Posted by Marimo on 1/2/2016 at 04:16

Thanks a lot for the reply ,Captain! :-)
Mae Sot seems to be a pretty (or rather really) long detour south when our goal is Mandalay O.o' (I'm sure there are pretty sights to see, but we only have so much time.. :-/).
Does anyone know if it's possible to get cheaper flights than around 350usd?! (End of july this year)

#3 Marimo has been a member since 31/1/2016. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.