Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Route 28

Posted by AirCommando on 20/11/2007 at 06:05

Headed east across Route 12 from Thakhet then south on Route 28 till it joins Route 9. Know Route 9 is
a new paved road, but cannot locate any info on the status of Route 28. Van ok?

Route 12 goes through the mountains across the Mekong from Nakhon Phanom. Being an old geezer I spent quite a few nights at Monty's Ice Cream Parlor on the Thai side watching the bomb drops across the river.

Today I work to help the kids in the schools around Nakhon Phanom and in Laos and travel at my own expense as does every member of our organization; the Thailand Laos Cambodia Brotherhood primarily composed of men who served in those countries during the war.
I'm headed back again with my wife and another friend who was also at NKP during the war to work on some of our projects and see areas in southern Laos well known from the air. Been back quite a bit to NKP and northern Laos, but no on the ground southern Laos experience in Savannahket and Thakhet provences. Check this for info if your interested: http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/thare.html
There are about 500 of us in our nonprofit charity mostly former American military men. If you want to
learn of the former classified American presence at Nakhon Phanom http://aircommandoman.tripod.com/

Thanks to any and all for info and I enjoy this travel board.

#1 AirCommando has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by AirCommando on 30/11/2007 at 02:39

Guess no one in Travelfish knows anything about Route 28 so I will have to post a message about it when I get back.

Cheers

AirCommando

#2 AirCommando has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by somsai on 1/12/2007 at 01:15

I don't know anything about the roads in Southern Laos but I found your website very interesting and added it to favorites. You might try searching through Golden Triangle Riders, or GTRiders, they usually have good road information about Laos.

Have fun

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/12/2007 at 14:04 admin

Sorry, missed this questions somehow. AFAIK Route 28, passing through Nakai, is mostly dirt but in reasonable condition -- this is a key leg on the Tha Khaek Loop that lots of backpackers do by motorbike. Van should be ok, just a bit bumpy.

Sorry for late reply!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.