Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Three week round Trip Bangkok/Laos/Cambodia

Posted by joyjasp on 16/2/2016 at 04:25

Hey Guys, first of all great forum, theres so much to read here, its gold!

I'm trying to wrap my head around where to go on our three week round trip starting in march.
i've been reading in older topics on travel fish a lot and here is what i figured out so far:

-Fly to Bangkok

-Fly up to Chiang Mai straight away

-Bus to Chiang Khong

-Cross Border and take slow boat to Luang Prabang

-Skip Vang Vieng and Vientiane and fly to Pakse to see 400 islands

-Bus to Siem Reap to see Ankor Wat

-Bus and Boat to Rabbit Island (or any other of them islands)

-Boat and Bus to Phnom Penh

-Fly to Bangkok

Can anybody tell me if this would be feasible for three weeks?

Any distances that i underestimate? its so hard to tell sometimes...

Would you think we miss a lot skipping Vang Vieng and Vientiane? (we are not into backpacker partys too much!)

thank you guys a lot for your help in advance!

#1 joyjasp has been a member since 16/2/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 16/2/2016 at 07:00

Just barely doable in 3 weeks, assuming you want to actually spend time (couple days each) in these places. Good to fly straight up to Chiang Mai and also Luang Prabang to Pakse. 4000 Islands to Siem Reap by bus in one day is quite a stretch, but still doable. However Siem Reap to Tonsay probably isn't. It's a long way and your bus will probably stop in Phnom Penh and you'll be lucky to make Kampot or Kep same day. So assuming you'll spend 2 no-travel days each in places like Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, etc. it comes out to... yep, about 21 days.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,954

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by joyjasp on 16/2/2016 at 08:55

Hey Bob,
thank you so much for taking your time to help me out here!
sounds like we'd have to kind of rush our way threw everything..So would you say flying Luang Prabang to Siem Reap instead of Pakse would be a better idea? its about the same price but we'd have to skip 4000 islands..Not sure about 4000 islands anyways, seems like some people love it, some people dont really care too much about it..what do you think?
cheers

#3 joyjasp has been a member since 16/2/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/2/2016 at 06:26

A few ways to cut out a destination or two. Flying Bangkok - Luang Prabang OR flying Luang Prabang - Siem Reap OR skipping Tonsay and going Siem Reap by air or road to Bangkok would each free up 3-5 days and allow you to maybe feel less rushed.

What you choose to skip is really a matter of opinion. I really enjoyed the 4000 islands, especially Don Kong as it is big and relatively non-touristy, but for example you can still capture a "life on the Mekong" vibe around Luang Prabang. In dry season when the river is at its lowest large sand banks emerge and locals set up temporary beach bars, restaurants, etc. and you can do one-day boat trips to caves and villages. Also you will have just come off 2 days of slowboat. Maybe consider how much time you would invest in getting to each place vs. the amount of time and enjoyment there.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,954

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.