Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Southern Laos

Posted by jan1 on 3/3/2016 at 03:27

Hi

I have around 4 weeks in Nov this year for a trip to Southern Laos on my to do list is Kong Lor Cave and 4000 islands and Wat Phou.

Would love to hear what other highlights we should included and what to miss out on our trip

Taking a moped and heading out to do one of the loop's is not a option for us

If I have time I might keep heading south into Cambodia

I have already been to LP VV in Loas and SR PP Sih in Cambodia and have covered Vietnam,Thailand, and also Burma

Many Thanks Jan

#1 jan1 has been a member since 20/4/2004. Posts: 15
 Where has jan1 been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/3/2016 at 07:27 admin

Not doing scooter loops will limit you a little, but with four weeks, you could cover a lot of ground. Konglor, 4,000 islands and Wat Phu as you've already mentioned are all great.

If you're not doing the Tha Khaek loop motorbike trip then you'll probably only need a couple of days for Konglor specifically, But Tha Khaek is ok for a couple of nights - there are some good caves that can be visited from there by tuk tuk.

Further south, I've a soft spot for Savannakhet though many do find it a bit boring.

Pakse is a good town - solid eating, heaps of places to stay and from there can head east to Tad Lo for waterfalls and stuff. Going further east (to Salavan, Sekong and Attapeu) is best done by scooter and you may find some diminishing returns if doing by public transport, but still - pretty area. Some of the waterfalls you can see from Sekong/Attapeu are pretty impressive, but without own transport, perhaps a bit of a headache.

Wat Phu is ace, but Champasak also a great spot - books and a riverside room -- where did those three days go ;-)

The islands - Don Khong, Don Dhet and Don Khon -- depending on how much travel you're planning to do, I'd set aside a chunk of time here. They're all good in their own way and November the perfect time to go - not too busy, rivers high, lush. I really enjoyed cycling all the way around Don Khong.

Enjoy - slow travel the best way!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by jan1 on 3/3/2016 at 14:31

Many Thanks for your reply
I will do some research on the other places that you have mentioned
Looking forward travelling at a slow pace
Unfortunately we might be 3 person travelling and one person will not travel on a motor bike which rules out this method of travel
Would be good if we could hire a car for a few days but have not looked into this option yet we have hired a jeep in Thailand before but it might not be so easy in Laos?
Southern Laos has been on my to do list for a number of years so hopefully 2016 will be the year that we finally get there
Jan

#3 jan1 has been a member since 20/4/2004. Posts: 15
 Where has jan1 been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/3/2016 at 18:54 admin

Not too hard to hire a car there. Am almost certain there are car rental agencies in Savannakhet and Pakse so you may be able to rent in one and drop off in the other...

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MarilynR on 21/3/2016 at 04:19

I just spend five weeks in Laos and have written a blog about my highlights:

http://www.triparoundtheworld.org/en/2016/02/27/must-dos-in-laos/

#5 MarilynR has been a member since 21/3/2016. Posts: 6
 Send MarilynR a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.