Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vientiane to Udon Thani Airport

Posted by Sansam on 25/8/2016 at 08:11

Hi Travelers,

I will be travelling by road from VTE to Udon Thani (UTH) airport by road very soon (Sep-2016). My flight from Udon Thani to BKK is at 12:45 pm. Can you please advise if I take the bus from VTE at 8 am to UTH will I be able to catch the flight? Just to add, on the way there will be Laos/Thai border crossing and a tuktuk ride from UTH bus station to airport.

Thanks.

#1 Sansam has been a member since 25/8/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 25/8/2016 at 17:44

I hope this site helps?

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159
 Send daawgon a private message   Facebook  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Wilken on 30/8/2016 at 13:41

Sounds rather risky. Maybe if you can find a minibus that crosses the border earlier than the first local bus. Also with the bus you will arrive on the opposite side of Udon Thani and you'll have to cross the city by tuk tuk or taxi to reach the airport.

Alternatively you could cross the border the evening before and stay the night in Nong Khai or Udon Thani. Would be less stressful at least.

Have a nice trip!

#3 Wilken has been a member since 20/2/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by serendipity on 7/9/2016 at 05:10

I agree it's very risky as I've taken these buses a few times and the border crossing goes slow as the bus has to wait for every single passenger to clear Thai immig. & customs. Much better to charter your own tuk tuk out to the bridge and cross to Thailand by yourself then walk 150 meters down from Thai Immigration checkpoint to the minivan station for buses to Udon Thani . This station is just past the 7-11 on the left as you leave Immigration. Don't believe the taxi touts closer to immigration who want you to charter a van for 800 baht. But they wait to fill up the minivans so no guarantee you'll get to Udon in time to check in. Also when arriving at Udon Thani ask to get off at the big intersection with a road going south to the airport and no need to stay on the bus all the way to the bus station which wastes time. The border opens well before 08:00 AM so get a very early start and you may make it.

#4 serendipity has been a member since 5/11/2014. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.