Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Dilemma: Luang Nam Tha or taking more time south?

Posted by CyrilCarton on 22/10/2016 at 23:06

Hi,

First time post. Already had a great time reading all the info on Travelfish!

Our dilemma: should we go for about 2-3 days to Luang Nam Tha (that's about 5 transport included) or should we spend some more days in the middle/southern part of Laos?

We are a couple who likes hiking and interact with the local people. We took the slow boat and are now about 3-4 days in Luang Prabang. We still have about 10-15 days in Laos to spend (before we go to Cambodia) and also want to go south of Laos. We like trekking and hiking!

So, should we go to Luang Nam Tha (for hiking and trekking) or can we do the same in mid-/south-Laos and take some more time instead of going 2 days up and back the North?

Many thanks!
Lien and Cyril.

#1 CyrilCarton has been a member since 22/10/2016. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/10/2016 at 23:06 admin

Hi,

A bit late on this one, but I'd say you won't get trekking Luang Nam Tha style in the south. At least not with the village life you'd encounter in the north. So, if you have time, I'd consider north - though you could use somewhere closer, like Nong Kiaow , as a base. as there is some trekking and climbing out of there as well. A third option would be Kasi (between Luang Prabang and Vientiane) which has some walking options out of the guesthouse there - see the TF listing for details.

Apols for the late answer!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 25/10/2016 at 04:19

I liked the north of Laos but it is s judgement call when you add time into the equation

you could in addition to the suggestions above also consider Attapeu Province which looking at the write up on these pages seems little changed from when I was there some years back

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 947
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.