Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Nong Kiao to Luang Prabang By Boat/Minibus

Posted by Antaro on 7/11/2016 at 07:05

Hi out there!
Has anyone recently done the trip from Nong Kiao to Luang Prabang with a combination of boat to the first dam and from there to Luang Prabang by Minibus? I've heared that this trip is offered by some travelagents in NK and wonder how much this would cost and if it's worth it. I've done the whole trip by boat a couple of years ago when the river still was open and really loved it ... Any advice appreciated!

Regards, A.

#1 Antaro has been a member since 13/1/2008. Posts: 12

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/11/2016 at 19:08 admin

I checked with Cindy (our Laos writer) and she said (briefly as she's on the road at the moment):

"Not worth it. Logistically complicated and expensive. Not sure if agents will still arrange it's been a while since I've asked. Better option is to go upriver from Nong Kiaow to Muang Khua – but there is also a dam planned for up there."

If she has internet access tonight may pop back with a few more details.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,015
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Antaro on 10/11/2016 at 03:29

Thanks for the answer, Somtam!
I just got reply from Green Discovery Travel, they would organise the trip for 185 $ for up to 8 people,
which is ok if you can collect 8 people, otherwise quite expensive ... still not sure if it's really worth it.
Up to Muang Khua would surely be the better choice, unfortunately I don't have enough time.

Cheers, Antaro

#3 Antaro has been a member since 13/1/2008. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.