Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Siam Reap Transit

Posted by KPasicznyk on 18/12/2007 at 14:27

I'm planning my first trip to SEA (13 days, tentatively scheduled for BKK - Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Siam Reap - BKK) and after doing a ton of research I have a few questions I'm hoping the more experienced folks out there can help out with:

1.) Has anyone actually taken the pickup-truck / kayaking organized trip from Vang Vieng - Vientiane that's mentioned in the VV Sights & Attractions page? If so, where in town should I book? Anything I should be aware of before signing up?

2.) Is there any realistic way of travel overland from Vientiane to Siam Reap, or am I best off leaving my fate in the hands of Lao Airlines? (If only their website would actually let me price tickets...)

3.) Does my route sound reasonable, or should I consider taking the reverse trip? Was hoping to avoid the BKK - Siam Reap route as it seems the other direction is less of a hassle, but if there's a compelling reason to switch I'd consider it.

Thanks so much!

#1 KPasicznyk has been a member since 9/10/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by shumium on 30/12/2007 at 12:20

Hi Kate,

I am planning to have the same itinerary as yours -- (BKK/LP/Vientiane/SR) and will likely get my air tickets from Lao Airlines. Have you heard of the Excursion Pass? The total airfare is about $178 USD, not sure if this includes taxes or any surcharges.

#2 shumium has been a member since 28/12/2007. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/12/2007 at 14:58 admin

Hi Kate,

Sorry, I missed your question earlier!

1) Any travel agent in Vang Vieng should be able to sort you out on that, though note it doesn't go all the way to Vientiane.

2) There's quite a few overland routes between Vientiane and Siem Reap -- the quickest way would be to go through Thailand and it would be two full days of travel. To go through Laos, and Cambodia (via Phnom Penh) would take at least three days. If you're happy to break the trip up with a few stops, then I'd do it overland, but if you want to get there quickly, fly - Lao Airlines are fine.

3) It's six of one, half dozen of the other. Siem Reap to Bangkok can be a hassle either way -- just avoid any kind of tourist minibus service and you should be ok. I'm assuming you're planning to fly Bangkok to Luang Prabang, in which case you're got enough time to cover where you're going.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.