Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Bus Travel Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Posted by 58raeaton70 on 30/1/2017 at 02:28

Hello - in the next week, my wife and are planning to travel by bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. It would appear the violence issues of a few months back have subsided? I am curious if there any travelers out there who have recently traveled this route? And if so were there any issues? I believe several countries still have advisories posted.

Thank you in advance, Rick

#1 58raeaton70 has been a member since 29/11/2016. Posts: 3

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by MannyG on 18/2/2017 at 01:04

DO NOT TAKE THE BUS!!!

Sorry for the capitalisation, but we can only tell everyone to not take ANY bus on the route from Luang Prabang to Vientiane . There was gunshots on our bus a couple of days ago with somebody shot (probably a local). It is extremely dangerous and we have the feeling that these events are not made public by the local government and even people or travel agencies! Really don't go this way, either fly or go somewhere else!

#2 MannyG has been a member since 18/2/2017. Posts: 1

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by zym on 13/3/2017 at 02:28

Hey there,

We did the whole journey from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and then to Luang Prabang by Bus/Mini van over the course of the last three weeks.

We were really nervous because of the travel warnings and the reports. But after asking around, locals and other travellers, we decided to go anyway.

I think we went the old route 13, since there were many villages and a lot of infrastructure.
We have seen exactly one armed soldier and haven't had any interruptions or suspicious sights.

All in all you have to decide for yourself if you're willing to take the risk.
I personally wasn't as concerned as my girlfriend, because the statistics speak a really clear language: you are not going to get shot. ;-)
Even if there might be some incidents that never get reported, which I really can't believe in since nobody (drivers e.g.) seems the slightest bit worried or upset.
Hundreds of people make this trip every day. And Luang Prabang was totally worth the trip for the fruit shakes and Kuang Xi waterfalls (even though it's so "touristy", i found it to be a spectacular sight) alone.

So here you go. Two totally different opinions on the trip. Sorry for that. ;-)

#3 zym has been a member since 13/3/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by hellomoto84 on 13/3/2017 at 04:59

Hello,

We had no idea about these issues and have recently travelled from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and then onward to Luang Prabang.

We had no issues at all and have not encountered any other travellers who have been affected by violence/difficulties on route between these towns. We booked transport through our hostel on each occasion and our vehicles were on both occasions minivans with the other passengers all other travellers.

I hope that helps and you have a safe journey whatever you decide.

#4 hellomoto84 has been a member since 13/3/2017. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.