Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Motorbike Stolen in Bolaven Plateau (repost)

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/3/2017 at 05:44 admin

This morning my motorbike was stolen un just 5 minutes en Pakson. The office where I rented it said to me that I have to buy a new one.
What can I do?
Thank you

[Note, this post was originally posted by lorenaanchia here. I've reposted it here as it will more likely get attention and helpful advice as a new thread.]

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,008
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SoManyMiles on 1/3/2017 at 08:37 TF writer

Hi lorenaanchia,
Did you sign a contract/do you have a copy of the contract? Usually the contract outlines what the renter is responsible for -- most I have seen indicate a dollar amount that the renter is responsible for rather than having to replace it as new.

#2 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 145

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by lorenaanchia on 1/3/2017 at 10:15

Yes I have a copy, and it said that I have to replace it. The motorbike was pretty new.

#3 lorenaanchia has been a member since 1/3/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/3/2017 at 22:13 admin

I've been passed a couple of photos of the place where the motorbike was stolen.

Also, when our Laos writer was in Pakse, Yves, the Belgian co-owner of Miss Noy’s motorbike rental in Pakse
… in his orientation he said anyone who rents motorbikes from him is FORBIDDEN to go there. He said there were several motorbikes stolen, one incident involving armed (not sure if gun or knife or what) there. This will be highlighted when we get that research onto the website.

katarm-1.jpg

katarm-2.jpg

So Katarm Waterfall in Southern Laos belongs in the no-go zone. Avoid.

Thanks Lorena for the pics and the heads up. You can read her travel site here.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,008
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by neharani on 1/3/2017 at 22:36

If you had sign an agreement that you have to replace it..then I don't think so you have no any other option than buying a new bike and give it to the company from where you had rented a bike..

#5 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 44

Posted by lorenaanchia on 2/3/2017 at 00:32

Yes, I went this morning to the Police in Pakse but the didn't brought me any solution, the are going to ask the Internatinal Police in Vientiane, but I'm going to meet the owner of the travel agency this afternoon and try to make a deal to get my passport back... I have no choice.

#6 lorenaanchia has been a member since 1/3/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.