Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

4000 Islands and Dolphins

Posted by Stef77 on 30/3/2017 at 09:11

Is it worth it to make a trip to see the river dolphins? Has anyone seen them lately?
Thanks!!

#1 Stef77 has been a member since 30/3/2017. Posts: 3

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by Mirjam1970 on 29/4/2017 at 06:10

Hi Stef, first of all I have not been there yet but we are planning to go in May. I searched the internet up and down on the dolphins and found conflicting statements. One recent article said there are only three (??) dolphins left at all?? But in a travel blog from last year someone reported seeing the dolphins. Hmm...?! Guess we will have to find out ourselves. I understood you have to book a special boat trip and then they will take you to to the places most likely to spot them. I think we will try, and if we see none we will still have a nice boat trip :-)

#2 Mirjam1970 has been a member since 29/4/2017. Posts: 2

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Stef77 on 29/4/2017 at 06:51

Hey! I went and got to see them! It was great and I recommend it. My boat guide wanted to leave after a very short time but I asked to stay and he was ok with it. Also, the dolphins were mainly swimming around the middle section of the river so I asked him to motor up and drift down into that area and that got us a lot closer to them ;)

#3 Stef77 has been a member since 30/3/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by SoManyMiles on 29/4/2017 at 13:07 TF writer

Hi Stef77,
It's becoming more and more unlikely that you will see them but that said, in November one couple on Don Dhet told me they saw some on their boat trip so it's not impossible. As with any wildlife, it's best not to have too high hopes and as Mirjam1970 mentions, if anything it is a nice boat trip.

Another popular spot to try and see them is in Kampi, near Kratie in Cambodia.
https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/cambodia/northeastern_cambodia/kratie/kratie/942

#4 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.