Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Is it possible to visit the falls in Don Khon staying only 1 night?

Posted by algonette7987 on 22/4/2017 at 00:19

Regretfully, I am on something of a fly-by visit to Southern Laos (5 nights in all before I fly to Vientiane). I am a solo traveller and would like to take the bus/boat from Champasak leaving around 8 am (as I have heard is possible), spend one night in Don Khon, and return to Pakse leaving the island around 11 am. I would leave later but I saw online that 11 am is when most people leave.
I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money to hire a private car and even that isn't going to get me to the island...

Would I have to walk 4 km from the ferry landing to Don Khon? That might not be possible for me if I have a suitcase on wheels. I could possibly do it with a backpack, but as I am in SE Asia for a total of 6 weeks packing that light might be difficult. Having checked in to a guesthouse and left my stuff, how far a bike ride is it to the falls?

I will be travelling at the end of September.

#1 algonette7987 has been a member since 30/11/2016. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by SoManyMiles on 22/4/2017 at 10:26 TF writer

Hi algonette7987,

To go from Champasak to Don Khon , buy a tourist bus ticket through a guesthouse. The ticket will usually include transfer to the boat landing, boat across and then on the east side of the Mekong, you'll get picked up by the air-con bus heading to Ban Nakasang, the gateway to Don Dhet and Don Khon. Sometimes your ticket will also include boat to Don Khon -- check on inclusions when you purchase the ticket. Otherwise, it is very straightforward: at Ban Nakasang boat landing, at the booth buy a boat ticket which will deliver you right to Don Khon, in the middle of the its tourist strip. There's no need to walk. Find more info in the Travel section: https://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/southern_laos/champasak/don_khon/all

https://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/southern_laos/champasak/champasak/all

As for the waterfall, I'm assuming you are referring to Li Phi. From Don Khon's tourist strip (where all the accommodation is), it is around 1.5 km to the falls, walking distance or rent a bicycle. Given your time constraints, Khone Pa Soi would require a motorbike or samlo.

Yes, those headed to Pakse all leave Don Khon at 11 am.

Something you may want to consider: there are affordable day tours offered from Pakse. They usually include Li Phi and Khone Pha Pheng. You don't get to stay overnight on Don Khon but this way you do get to see Khone Pha Pheng, which is the biggest one.

Have a great trip!

#2 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.