Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Phongsaly to Nong Khiaw by boat?

Posted by Kmcgregor1 on 2/5/2017 at 08:41

Hi guys

I'll be heading to Phongsaly to do some trekking and was thinking of heading to Nong Kiaow from here via boat.

I've had a look online and pieced together bits of information and I think it will be possible.

From Phongsaly there should be a bus/truck to Hatsa. From Hatsa I can take a boat to Muang Khua then from there a boat to Muang Ngoi. From there I should be able to take a boat to Nong Khiaw. Obviously overnight stays needed and I have some time to do this trip.

I'd really like to be able to go to Viang Xai from Nong Khiaw to visit the caves. Then hopefully if transport is available go to Phonsavan for Plain of jars and then head to Luang Prabang.

I was wondering if anyone has done the same journey or at least the boat journey to Nong Khiaw. The caves and plain of jars is only an idea at the moment.

Many thanks :)

#1 Kmcgregor1 has been a member since 30/1/2017. Posts: 12
 Send Kmcgregor1 a private message   Website   Instagram 

Posted by telmi on 6/5/2017 at 17:16

Seems like a good plan and all the boat trips s/b doable with maybe some waiting for other PAX to fill the boat. The Vieng Xay trip is also doable but public transport between Vieng Xay and Sam Neua is unreliable as the songtaew style bus often cancels due to lack of sufficient PAX. Suggest staying in Sam Neua and renting a motorbike for the short 30 km out and back from Vieng Xay. Other option if the scheduled bus from the bus station cancels is to walk 1 km out to the Highway 6 junction and wait for passing buses to pick you up for the trip to Sam Neua. Time schedules for buses and boats can be found at the website hobomaps.com - just click on the Travel buttons.

#2 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 32

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Kmcgregor1 on 7/5/2017 at 07:06

Thank you.

After speaking to the tourist info in Phongsaly I took the boat from Hatsa and after 2 1/2 hours it stops at a dam about 20 minutes from the town of Muoang Samphan. From there a tuk tuk to the town then around 2.30pm a tuk tuk to Muang Khua about 2 hours . Can still get a boat from Muang Khua to Muang Ngoi and Nong Khiaw but another dam is being built so these boat journeys may stop in the next couple years.

#3 Kmcgregor1 has been a member since 30/1/2017. Posts: 12
 Send Kmcgregor1 a private message   Website   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.