Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Loas - Vietnam border crossing

Posted by Trish177 on 5/6/2017 at 00:26

Im travelling to Loas and arrive in Luang Prabang on 09/06 where I am planning to stay for 5 nights. After that I have just 7 days to see a bit more of Northern Laos before crossing to Vietnam. Trying to work out best options of where to cross. First inclination was to suck up the cost and fly from Vientiane to Hanoi , as it only takes just over an hour! But feel I might be missing a bit of an adventure - so other options would be a bus from Vientiane to Vinh and then overnight sleeper to Hanoi - or maybe head to Phonsavan and get a bus from there to cross probably also at Lak Sao border? Have seen a lot of not so good reports of the Bus options, but all quite old. Has anyone done this recently and also in what has now become the early rainy season?

#1 Trish177 has been a member since 28/4/2017. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/6/2017 at 01:34 admin

If you are already going to be in Luang Prabang, then the preferred overland route is via Phonsavan (which is worth a couple of days for Plain of Jars) to Vinh and on the Vietnam side could consider breaking the journey at Ninh Binh.

Given your time constraints I wouldn't recommend getting a bus to Vientiane and then over-landing it from there - too much time lost in ground transport.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,008
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by telmi on 7/6/2017 at 14:07

I'd suggest skipping Vientiane and do as Somtam suggests by heading to Phonsavanh at the Plain of Jars and from there take a bus to Vinh. For schedules check out the hobomaps.com website and click on the Travel buttons for L. Prabang and Phonsavanh. I've seen the buses depart Phonsavanh for Vinh and they look quite decent and a friend of mine did that trip recently with good results and no problems at the border. The rainy season has started and there may be some iffy roads on the Vietnam side of the border but think s/b no problem on the Lao side.

#3 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.