Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Places to visit outside Vientiane, Laos in one week

Posted by Tulynnejohnny on 30/6/2017 at 05:06

I have been to Laos once and visited Vientiane . This August I am heading there for a conference in Vientiane also. I will have my son in the trip. We will arrive here one week before the conference. Actually, I would like to see somewhere outside Vientiane but I don't want it's time consuming to get there and back. So, what would you guys suggest for the destination and transportation as well? Thanks.

#1 Tulynnejohnny has been a member since 29/6/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by shahfieldd on 30/6/2017 at 22:53

Luang Prang may be a good journey from Vientiane . You can get to Luang Prang from Vientiane by bus or plane. Lao Central Airlines offers daily one-way flights with a price of $60 and the airport is just 5 kilometers from the city to the northeast. By another way, you can take a bus through Highway 13 that connects Luang Prang to Vientiane in the south and through Highway 1 to the north. Coming to Luang Prang, besides Lao ancient palace, you can visit the waterfall and the cave that are 24 kilometers from Luangprang. You can hire a tuk tuk to be taken to these two places. There are quite a lot small temples here such as Vat Sop Sickharam, Vat Sibounheuang and Vat Khili. In addition, you can choose to travel from Vientiane to Luang Prang via a tour like Laos Explorer. To come back Vientiane, air-con VIP reclining seats bus costs 150,000 kip and Express buss with no aircon at the station costs 110,000 kip. The ticket in Luang Prang is more expensive than that in Vientiane.

#2 shahfieldd has been a member since 30/9/2016. Posts: 20

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/7/2017 at 00:23

With your added timeout take a 3-hour bus/minivan ride north to Vang Vieng. Nice limestone cliffy scenery, great for rented mountain bike, caving, kayaking, river tubing, etc. See http://www.hobomaps.com/VangViengAreaMap.html and other relevant info on hobomaps dot com.

^"Luang Prang"? Have you ever been there? (Vietnamese travel agent) ;-)

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,943

Posted by SoManyMiles on 16/7/2017 at 09:20 TF writer

As mentioned already, would suggest you fly to Luang Prabang or go to Vang Vieng by road. How old is your son?

Getting to Luang Prabang by plane is the best option as August is rainy season. Have you booked your ticket to Vientiane yet? If not, it would make sense to fly to Luang Prabang first (from Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore), then after fly to Vientiane, triangulating rather than having to go there and back from Vientiane. Lots of family activities in Luang Prabang and you can have a great balance of exploration, activity and R&R. Otherwise, if your transport into Vientiane is already arranged, door to door VTE-LPQ is quick as it's a domestic flight. Show up an hour before the flight, 1 hr flight and you're there.

Vang Vieng also a decent option though you'll be hard pressed to find enough to do to fill a week.
Hope this helps

#4 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 119

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.