Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

How much time to spend in Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng

Posted by Jugurtha on 25/9/2017 at 23:21

Hello, our family 2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 and 9 will be travelling to Laos and Cambodia in January. We fly into Vientiane and out of Luang Prabang. We prefer quieter towns where we can walk or ride a bike with not too much traffic and fun/interesting things for the kids to do. Kids love exploring, animal encounters and swimming.

We would appreciate any suggestions in amending the below itinerary, whether re-allocating time at destinations to leaving destinations off to avoid too much travel:

LAOS
>> Fly into Vientiane from Phnom Penh (arrive early evening to spend one night. We have no interest in staying in Vientiane)
- 1 night Vientiane.
>> Taxi or bus to Vang Vieng
- 4 nights Vang Vieng.
>> Taxi or bus to Luang Prabang
- 5 nights Luang Prabang.
>> Fly to Thailand.

Do these timeframes seem ok, or would you take days/cut out destinations(s) from our below Cambodia itinerary for extra days in Laos? Also, what mid range hotels would you recommend in VV and LP? We would like a pool, A/C, decent wifi and in a location that is a good compromise for outdoor activities but also restaurants and markets for the evening/afternoon.

CAMBODIA
- 4 nights Siem Reap (Siem Reap dates are fixed)
>> taxi or bus to Battambang
- 2 nights Battambang
>>taxi or bus to Phnom Penh
-2 nights Phnom Penh
>> taxi to Kampot
- 3 nights Kampot
>> taxi Kampot to Phnom Penh airport for early evening flight to Vientiane.
Thanks.

#1 Jugurtha has been a member since 12/6/2017. Posts: 2
 Send Jugurtha a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/9/2017 at 02:07 admin

This is a logical spread for where you are going in Laos—especially with kids—though I'd venture Vientiane is worth more than a night as the kids may particularly enjoy Buddha Park and the sunsets riverside are pretty great.

That aside, for places to stay, suggest take a look at our listings as a starting point, VV here and LPQ here.

If you're looking for family-style rooms in January in Luang Prabang, booking in advance would be prudent, Vang Vieng not so much, but probably still not a bad idea.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,901
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 26/9/2017 at 16:45

I agree with this somtam2000 guy that Vientiane is worth more than just an overnight. Spend an evening at the Pratuxai, for example, and see if your kids don't hit it off with the local families enjoying the evening in the park there. If it were me, I'd borrow one of the days in Vang Vieng so I could spend an extra night in VTE. Ta.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,755
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.