Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Question on Long Boat trip out of Luang Prabang

Posted by TanyaCollins on 5/10/2017 at 10:57

My husband and I would like to do a long day trip to see the scenery and maybe stop at a village or possibly overnight in a village north of Luang Prabang on the Mekong River. We have seen various tours but all seem to be overly touristic with contrived experiences viewing the locals do their “ craft”. We enjoy seeing how rural people live and make their living but are not keen on performances. Any suggestions ?Also which village would you recommend staying in and where?

#1 TanyaCollins has been a member since 28/9/2017. Posts: 8

Posted by SoManyMiles on 6/10/2017 at 04:19 TF writer

Hi TanyaCollins,

Any day trip on the Mekong from Luang Prabang will yield beautiful scenery. I most enjoy the scenery going down river -- this day trip can be combined with a stop at the marvellous Pha Tad Khe botanic garden (opened this year) and Kuang Si waterfall. For Kuang Si, you need to go with a company that can arrange for transport from a village on the Mekong for the additional few km by road to the falls. Alternatively, a common tour offered is going upriver to Pak Ou cave, another attraction. The scenery is nice, but not as beautiful as down from town in my opinion.

Based on what you've written (possible overnight, not overly touristic contrived experience, scenery), a good option would be this Banana Boat trip that includes time at a Tai Leu cotton weaving village and going upriver on the Nam Ou -- most tourists only go as far as Muang Ngoi but this goes up further to Ban Sop Jam. The scenery is absolutely stunning north of Muang Ngoi and the Nam Ou is going to greatly changed by damming, so it is only a matter of time before the villages on the river will be affected. Having been to this ethnic Tai Leu village, it is a lovely one to visit and is definitely not on the beaten tourist track. http://www.bananaboatlaos.com/nongkhiaw--nam-ou-trips.html

#2 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 119

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Herbie47 on 23/10/2017 at 09:32

There is a dam north of Luang Prabang so you can no longer get upto Nong Khiaw. I would either go west of Luang Prabang or go by bus to Nong Khiaw and then take the boat north of there. Soon this route will also be stopped by a new dam they are building between Nong Khiaw and Muang Khua. If you have the chance I would go from Nong Khiaw.

#3 Herbie47 has been a member since 23/2/2011. Posts: 21

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.